did i get this right so far?

  • guitar_goth_grrl
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5 2:25 PM
      okay, i want to have the words elf-maid(en) tattooed on myself in
      either sindarin or quenya using cursive tengwar (i'm not jumping into
      it because of the film - i haven't seen it yet 'cause i like the
      pictures in my head though i will see it when i can concentrate for
      long enough as it sounds worth watching).

      as a start i've got the words:-

      'elleth' as the sindarin, and 'elda' for 'elf' and '-wen' for maiden
      in quenya, so that would be 'eldawen'?

      also, i would quite like it to say 'red haired' elf-maiden, but i
      don't have a clue on that.

      <sigh> i really would be grateful if someone would be very kind and
      write it for me in a cursive tengwar font and mail me it, i am
      totally stupid with languages but this is something really major to
      me. i want it to be as correct as possible in whichever language i
      end up using.(i only would like to see both to choose which feels
      right to me). i'm sure you think i'm totally useless but i'm not very
      well atm (i have some mental health problems - not asking for
      sympathy, just to clarify why i'm finding it difficult to think
      straight)

      kate
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6 3:52 AM

        > 'elleth' as the sindarin, and 'elda' for 'elf' and '-wen' for maiden

        in quenya, so that would be 'eldawen'?

        Elwende for Quenya

        >also, i would quite like it to say 'red haired' elf-maiden, but i

        don't have a clue on that.

        Russa Quenya and Ross Sindarin.. (you can say also Finderussa)

        and could i ask if you have a pic of you? i would really like to have one :) i am attracted to red heads!!

      • angelbaby
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7 3:28 PM
          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          > > 'elleth' as the sindarin, and 'elda' for 'elf' and '-wen' for maiden
          >
          > in quenya, so that would be 'eldawen'?
          >
          > Elwende for Quenya
          >
          > >also, i would quite like it to say 'red haired' elf-maiden, but i
          > don't have a clue on that.
          >
          > Russa Quenya and Ross Sindarin.. (you can say also Finderussa)

          what about 'cullo'? that's a poetic word for 'red/gold' isn't it? could
          i say 'findecullo'?

          now i need to work out how to write it in tengwar cursive with all of
          the correct symbols.

          > and could i ask if you have a pic of you? i would really like to have
          > one :) i am attracted to red heads!!

          sure you can. i'll have to get one taken specially though as i only have
          a photo of me when my hair was braided with purple so you can't really
          see the red - i have it natural atm though so its red ringlets that are
          just short of waistlength. the photo of my with the braids is on my
          website:-

          http://www.borderline-babe.co.uk

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • guitar_goth_grrl
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7 3:47 PM
            --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
            <snip>

            > Elwende for Quenya
            >
            > >also, i would quite like it to say 'red haired' elf-maiden, but i
            > don't have a clue on that.
            >
            > Russa Quenya and Ross Sindarin.. (you can say also Finderussa)

            is there some way of saying it using the feminine suffix -iel ?

            something like

            elwende cullo/fin/iel?
            [ [

            redgold/hair/-fem suffix

            (i prefer the poetic form 'red-gold', it sounds more like my own hair
            colour anyway as its somrt of a dark copper)
          • Danny Andri�
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9 4:29 AM

              >what about 'cullo'? that's a poetic word for 'red/gold' isn't it? could
              >i say 'findecullo'?

              And a Sindarin version (which is really more appropriate to Middle Earth in
              the Third Age ... all the personal names in LotR are Sindarin) is easily
              deduced from an attested example: we know that Goldilocks's (Sam's daughter)
              name was translated into Sindarin as 'Glorfinniel'. Quenya 'cullo' =
              Sindarin 'coll'. Therefore, Colfinniel. Or if you want something more poetic
              (and figurative), how about Lachfinniel ('flame-tressed')?

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12 11:09 AM

                 teithant guitar_goth_grrl

                > elwende cullo/fin/iel?

                          [     [

                       redgold/hair/-fem suffix

                * `VjnR2R aJj"HeG2T`Vj

              • angelbaby
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14 4:30 PM
                  Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                  > teithant guitar_goth_grrl
                  >
                  > > elwende cullo/fin/iel?
                  > [ [
                  >
                  > redgold/hair/-fem suffix
                  >
                  > * `VjnR2R aJj"HeG2T`Vj

                  thankyou,
                  do you mean i need to type this in something to get the words in
                  tengwar for my tattoo? what do i need to use?

                  thankyou.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 18 2:38 AM

                    teithant angelbaby

                    Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                    > * `VjnR2R aJj"HeG2T`Vj

                    thankyou,
                    do you mean i need to type this in  something to get the words in
                    tengwar for my tattoo? what do i need to use?

                    * yes, type it in Word or Wordpad and type it with the tengwar cursive font

                  • angelbaby
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2002
                      Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                      > teithant angelbaby
                      >
                      > Gildor Inglorion wrote:
                      >
                      > > * `VjnR2R aJj"HeG2T`Vj
                      > >

                      > thankyou,
                      > do you mean i need to type this in something to get the words in
                      > tengwar for my tattoo? what do i need to use?
                      >
                      > * yes, type it in Word or Wordpad and type it with the tengwar cursive
                      > font

                      okay, i did it but it doesn't look quite right - the font i used is
                      called 'tnegwar cursive' (western) - it doesn't flow the way i imagine
                      the cursive to do - like on the rings. also, it does say 'elwende
                      cullofiniel', doesn't it?

                      also, how would i write 'lachfinniel' (for 'flame-tressed'), as may
                      prefer to use it rather than cullofiniel if it looks better; and would
                      the first word (elf-maiden) still be 'elwende' in sindarin?

                      thankyou,

                      angelbaby