Re: How to write these words in Tengwar cursive fonts?

  • wolfiina
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
      > * very nice! i havesome objections on gwend! gw is expressed not
      with w, but with an inverted tilde above the g! also a bar must be
      above d instead for the distinct n.. i hope you understand

      Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
      more wrong way writen?

      http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

      Thanks again :)
    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
        wolfiina wrote:

        > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
        > more wrong way writen?
        > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

        Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight horizontal bar you
        have used are both forms of the preceding nasal sign. You get the
        "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.

        Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for following w was in
        the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a modification of it ~",
        that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored tilde" is what is
        actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant inscriptions, but I have
        read <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
        Should we blame the editors or printers for replacing Tolkien's
        handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • Tina Breidenbach
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
          Ok, I've been doing research into writing, a very
          involved process. I have one question about the three
          words wolfiina's been working on.

          Most sites that I have found have the vowels as
          symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
          a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
          ways of thinking on this one?

          Thanks!
          Elvensong

          --- Harri Per�l� <harri.perala@...> wrote:
          > wolfiina wrote:
          >
          > > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct
          > now or is it even
          > > more wrong way writen?
          > > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif
          >
          > Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight
          > horizontal bar you
          > have used are both forms of the preceding nasal
          > sign. You get the
          > "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.
          >
          > Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for
          > following w was in
          > the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a
          > modification of it ~",
          > that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored
          > tilde" is what is
          > actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant
          > inscriptions, but I have
          > read

          <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
          > Should we blame the editors or printers for
          > replacing Tolkien's
          > handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?
          >
          > --
          > Harri Per�l� perala@...
          > http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

          =====
          "I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
          For our days are ending and our years failing.
          I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
          Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
          Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,
          In Eress�a, In Elvenhome that no man can discover,
          Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!"

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • Harri Perälä
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
            > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

            Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
            ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
              > Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
              > ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

              Are those words writen right now?

              http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif

              Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still
              missing... I just can't figure out where from keyboard I can find it :
              (
              Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
              me step by step how can I get that sign?
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002

                teithant Tina Breidenbach

                >Most sites that I have found have the vowels as

                symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
                a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
                ways of thinking on this one?

                * even more :)

              • Harri Perälä
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2002
                  wolfiina wrote:

                  > Are those words writen right now?
                  > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif
                  > Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still

                  Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                  > Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
                  > me step by step how can I get that sign?

                  Hold down Alt while typing the four digits on the numeric keyboard.
                  Depending on the program, you may need to have Num Lock on. Symbols like
                  this are listed under the headings "Tengwar Xyz font extended characters
                  / keyboard mapping" in Dan Smith's documentation.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
                    > Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                    I got it now!

                    Thank you so much for your help :)