Re: [elfscript] How to write these words in Tengwar cursive fonts?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
      teithant wolfiina

      > I have downloaded Tengwar cursive fonts to my
      > computer, but now I
      > need desperently help how to write these words in
      > elfish and using
      > Tengwar cursive fonts.
      >
      > The words are: Love - Friendship - Trust

      * in
      http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
      you will learn how to write tengwar... then we can
      check if your proposal right:)

      it's better that way for you:)

    • wolfiina
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
        How can I add a picture here so you could see if I have writen those
        three words correctly??
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
          teithant wolfiina

          > How can I add a picture here so you could see if I
          > have writen those
          > three words correctly??

          * um.. you can put it online and giveus the address

        • wolfiina
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
            > * in
            > http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
            > you will learn how to write tengwar... then we can
            > check if your proposal right:)
            >
            > it's better that way for you:)

            Hi again,

            I hope you wont laugh to death, but here is my proposal how could
            those three words; meleth, gwend and estel writen in tengwar.

            http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words.gif

            So please tell me am I totally wrong? :)
            And then could you please tell me how I would write those same words
            by using tengwar cursive(?)

            Thanks,
            Susa
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002

              teithant wolfiina

              I hope you wont laugh to death, but here is my proposal how could
              those three words; meleth, gwend and estel writen in tengwar.

              * very nice! i havesome objections on gwend! gw is expressed not with w, but with an inverted tilde above the g! also a bar must be above d instead for the distinct n.. i hope you understand

              >And then could you please tell me how I would write those same words

              by using tengwar cursive(?)

              * same way

            • wolfiina
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                > * very nice! i havesome objections on gwend! gw is expressed not
                with w, but with an inverted tilde above the g! also a bar must be
                above d instead for the distinct n.. i hope you understand

                Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
                more wrong way writen?

                http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                Thanks again :)
              • Harri Perälä
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                  wolfiina wrote:

                  > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
                  > more wrong way writen?
                  > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                  Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight horizontal bar you
                  have used are both forms of the preceding nasal sign. You get the
                  "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.

                  Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for following w was in
                  the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a modification of it ~",
                  that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored tilde" is what is
                  actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant inscriptions, but I have
                  read <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
                  Should we blame the editors or printers for replacing Tolkien's
                  handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?

                  --
                  Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
                • Tina Breidenbach
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                    Ok, I've been doing research into writing, a very
                    involved process. I have one question about the three
                    words wolfiina's been working on.

                    Most sites that I have found have the vowels as
                    symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
                    a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
                    ways of thinking on this one?

                    Thanks!
                    Elvensong

                    --- Harri Per�l� <harri.perala@...> wrote:
                    > wolfiina wrote:
                    >
                    > > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct
                    > now or is it even
                    > > more wrong way writen?
                    > > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif
                    >
                    > Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight
                    > horizontal bar you
                    > have used are both forms of the preceding nasal
                    > sign. You get the
                    > "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.
                    >
                    > Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for
                    > following w was in
                    > the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a
                    > modification of it ~",
                    > that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored
                    > tilde" is what is
                    > actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant
                    > inscriptions, but I have
                    > read

                    <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
                    > Should we blame the editors or printers for
                    > replacing Tolkien's
                    > handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?
                    >
                    > --
                    > Harri Per�l� perala@...
                    > http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

                    =====
                    "I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
                    For our days are ending and our years failing.
                    I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
                    Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
                    Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,
                    In Eress�a, In Elvenhome that no man can discover,
                    Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!"

                    http://sports.yahoo.com
                  • Harri Perälä
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                      > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                      Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
                      ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                        > Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
                        > ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

                        Are those words writen right now?

                        http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif

                        Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still
                        missing... I just can't figure out where from keyboard I can find it :
                        (
                        Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
                        me step by step how can I get that sign?
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002

                          teithant Tina Breidenbach

                          >Most sites that I have found have the vowels as

                          symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
                          a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
                          ways of thinking on this one?

                          * even more :)

                        • Harri Perälä
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4, 2002
                            wolfiina wrote:

                            > Are those words writen right now?
                            > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif
                            > Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still

                            Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                            > Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
                            > me step by step how can I get that sign?

                            Hold down Alt while typing the four digits on the numeric keyboard.
                            Depending on the program, you may need to have Num Lock on. Symbols like
                            this are listed under the headings "Tengwar Xyz font extended characters
                            / keyboard mapping" in Dan Smith's documentation.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
                              > Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                              I got it now!

                              Thank you so much for your help :)