How to write these words in Tengwar cursive fonts?

  • wolfiina
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi,

      I have downloaded Tengwar cursive fonts to my computer, but now I
      need desperently help how to write these words in elfish and using
      Tengwar cursive fonts.

      The words are: Love - Friendship - Trust

      If I'm not totally wrong(?) those words are in Sindarin: meleth -
      gwend - estel (?)

      So please could you help me how to write those words by using Tengwar
      cursive fonts?
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
        teithant wolfiina

        > I have downloaded Tengwar cursive fonts to my
        > computer, but now I
        > need desperently help how to write these words in
        > elfish and using
        > Tengwar cursive fonts.
        >
        > The words are: Love - Friendship - Trust

        * in
        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
        you will learn how to write tengwar... then we can
        check if your proposal right:)

        it's better that way for you:)

      • wolfiina
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
          How can I add a picture here so you could see if I have writen those
          three words correctly??
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
            teithant wolfiina

            > How can I add a picture here so you could see if I
            > have writen those
            > three words correctly??

            * um.. you can put it online and giveus the address

          • wolfiina
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002
              > * in
              > http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
              > you will learn how to write tengwar... then we can
              > check if your proposal right:)
              >
              > it's better that way for you:)

              Hi again,

              I hope you wont laugh to death, but here is my proposal how could
              those three words; meleth, gwend and estel writen in tengwar.

              http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words.gif

              So please tell me am I totally wrong? :)
              And then could you please tell me how I would write those same words
              by using tengwar cursive(?)

              Thanks,
              Susa
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2002

                teithant wolfiina

                I hope you wont laugh to death, but here is my proposal how could
                those three words; meleth, gwend and estel writen in tengwar.

                * very nice! i havesome objections on gwend! gw is expressed not with w, but with an inverted tilde above the g! also a bar must be above d instead for the distinct n.. i hope you understand

                >And then could you please tell me how I would write those same words

                by using tengwar cursive(?)

                * same way

              • wolfiina
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                  > * very nice! i havesome objections on gwend! gw is expressed not
                  with w, but with an inverted tilde above the g! also a bar must be
                  above d instead for the distinct n.. i hope you understand

                  Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
                  more wrong way writen?

                  http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                  Thanks again :)
                • Harri Perälä
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                    wolfiina wrote:

                    > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct now or is it even
                    > more wrong way writen?
                    > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                    Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight horizontal bar you
                    have used are both forms of the preceding nasal sign. You get the
                    "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.

                    Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for following w was in
                    the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a modification of it ~",
                    that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored tilde" is what is
                    actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant inscriptions, but I have
                    read <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
                    Should we blame the editors or printers for replacing Tolkien's
                    handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?

                    --
                    Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
                  • Tina Breidenbach
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                      Ok, I've been doing research into writing, a very
                      involved process. I have one question about the three
                      words wolfiina's been working on.

                      Most sites that I have found have the vowels as
                      symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
                      a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
                      ways of thinking on this one?

                      Thanks!
                      Elvensong

                      --- Harri Per�l� <harri.perala@...> wrote:
                      > wolfiina wrote:
                      >
                      > > Could check that gwend word again - is it correct
                      > now or is it even
                      > > more wrong way writen?
                      > > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif
                      >
                      > Almost there. The tilde-like symbol and the straight
                      > horizontal bar you
                      > have used are both forms of the preceding nasal
                      > sign. You get the
                      > "mirrored tilde" or "over-twist" with alt+0232.
                      >
                      > Quite confusingly, Appendix E says that the sign for
                      > following w was in
                      > the mode of Beleriand either the u-tehta or "a
                      > modification of it ~",
                      > that is, a normal tilde. Apparently the "mirrored
                      > tilde" is what is
                      > actually meant (I haven't seen the relevant
                      > inscriptions, but I have
                      > read

                      <http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/teng_beleriand.htm#cons_labial>).
                      > Should we blame the editors or printers for
                      > replacing Tolkien's
                      > handwritten character with the nearest equivalent?
                      >
                      > --
                      > Harri Per�l� perala@...
                      > http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

                      =====
                      "I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me;
                      For our days are ending and our years failing.
                      I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
                      Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
                      Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling,
                      In Eress�a, In Elvenhome that no man can discover,
                      Where the leaves fall not: land of my people for ever!"

                      http://sports.yahoo.com
                    • Harri Perälä
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                        > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words2.gif

                        Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
                        ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002
                          > Oh, one more note: you have changed the letter for _g_ from anga to
                          > ungwe. Anga is the one that is used in this mode.

                          Are those words writen right now?

                          http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif

                          Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still
                          missing... I just can't figure out where from keyboard I can find it :
                          (
                          Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
                          me step by step how can I get that sign?
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 3, 2002

                            teithant Tina Breidenbach

                            >Most sites that I have found have the vowels as

                            symbols above or below the tengwar. Wolkiina is using
                            a different symbol for "e" than I found. Is there two
                            ways of thinking on this one?

                            * even more :)

                          • Harri Perälä
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 4, 2002
                              wolfiina wrote:

                              > Are those words writen right now?
                              > http://www.kolumbus.fi/susasebu/words3.gif
                              > Well execpt the gwend, where that "mirrored tilde" is still

                              Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                              > Harri, you said something about "with alt+0232", but could you tell
                              > me step by step how can I get that sign?

                              Hold down Alt while typing the four digits on the numeric keyboard.
                              Depending on the program, you may need to have Num Lock on. Symbols like
                              this are listed under the headings "Tengwar Xyz font extended characters
                              / keyboard mapping" in Dan Smith's documentation.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
                                > Except for that one tehta, they're perfect as far as I can tell.

                                I got it now!

                                Thank you so much for your help :)