Mapping keyboard for real Tengwar usage

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
      Re: Keyboard usage as a inspiration for words/changes
      Date:
      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:08:06 +0100
      From:
      "Ewout Stam" <teraiten@...>
      Newsgroups:
      alt.language.artificial

      Richard Rogers heeft geschreven in bericht
      <3c713450.210786114@...>...
      >On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:43:46 -0900, Michael Adams <Abrigon@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      >>I have noticed that as I type, that some words I don't like,
      >>or words I have started to use more often, as well as create
      >>new words, namely cause typing the other words/normal word
      >>is a nit hard on the hands/wrists cause of the need to move
      >>all over the keyboard.
      >
      >I've been a Windows user most of my PC life. But recently I started
      >plunging into Linux. One of the first things I ran across was the
      >ability to completely remap the keyboard. I pulled all my keycaps off
      >and made a Dvorak keyboard.

      Doesn't Windows already have drivers for Dvorak? It's a pity actually
      that
      most set standards aren't the best standards. Qwerty sux, but if I want
      be able to type quickly at other computers than at home, I will still
      have
      to know Qwerty, Dvorak won't help there (you can't install new
      keyboard-drivers on a protected network system).

      >Pretty cool. I suspect it would be
      >possible to remap a keyboard for any "conscript". Damned if I want to
      >try Tengwar though. <g>

      I was just talking about this in the Read_Alphabet group at
      yahoogroups.com

      Here is a quote from my message:
      "Dr. Berlin http://user.dtcc.edu/~berlin/ hosts a lot of foreign fonts
      and
      such, and while I was messing around with Arabic, I discovered this
      great
      program that you can download at:

      ftp://mesa.dtcc.edu/pub/berlin/fonts/keyman32.zip

      Arabic letters change shape depending on their position in a word. The
      Keyman program (running on windows 3.11, in my case, I don't know about
      other windows versions) changes these letter shapes automatically. It
      can
      also be used to create keyboard drivers for say, French wich allows easy

      insertion of cicumflexed, umlauted and accented letters. It simply
      changes
      the letters on the screen based on the just typed character AND the
      characters before it."

      Creating Tengwar will be possible, but you will only have to program the

      driver first. It's not too hard though. But all the required characters
      will
      have to be inside one single font file.

      --
      Love Humor or just love to share it?
      Then join or send to me at Adulthumor-l@egroups.com

    • Liesbeth Flobbe
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
        Hi!

        The newest version (5.0) is available from www.tavultesoft.com.

        > Arabic letters change shape depending on their position in a word. The
        > Keyman program (running on windows 3.11, in my case, I don't know about
        > other windows versions) changes these letter shapes automatically. It
        > can
        > also be used to create keyboard drivers for say, French wich allows easy
        >
        > insertion of cicumflexed, umlauted and accented letters. It simply
        > changes
        > the letters on the screen based on the just typed character AND the
        > characters before it."
        >
        > Creating Tengwar will be possible, but you will only have to program the
        >
        > driver first. It's not too hard though. But all the required characters
        > will
        > have to be inside one single font file.

        Well, all the required characters *are* in Dan Smith's font files,
        although some of them are hard to type because they have high ascii
        numbers (or ansi, I'm not sure).

        I *did* create a driver for Keyman 5.0, both for Quenya and for
        Sindarin/English. I think the Quenya driver is OK, since I actually took
        the time to learn Quenya. The Sindarin/English one is not very accurate,
        but at least it shows how to get the tehtar right in such languages.

        The drivers/keyboards are available from www.ai.rug.nl/~flobbe/tengwar. If
        you have any questionw on how to use them or what my code means, please
        ask. There are some copyright issues about Keyman 5.0 I don't like, but I
        think it's far better than the 3.2 version. Otherwise, it should be
        possible to downgrade the source code.

        Bye!

        Liesbeth Flobbe