Tengwar TT fonts must be marked "symbol"

  • gildir_1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2002
      Mellyn,

      I have discovered that the new MS Word 2002 has
      a "cute" feature: in the scrollbox (or whatever
      the correct term is) for fonts, the fonts are
      shown using the same font.

      The nice thing about this is of course that you
      see a sample of the fonts, which often makes it
      easier to find the font you want.

      The really *bad* news is that the name of non-latin
      fonts, such as tengwar or wingdings, become totally
      unreadable!

      MS have fixed this by looking at some sort of
      "symbol font" mark in the font. If the font is
      "symbol font" then the scrollbox will show the
      font name both using a standard font and the
      actual font itself.

      This means that all TrueType fonts for tengwar,
      cirth, etc must be marked "symbol font" from now
      on. This alert goes especially to our honored
      font smiths who must fix up their fonts.

      Many thanks to Måns Björkman who helped figuring
      out what was going on and in analyzing the problem.

      Suilaid,
      Gildir, Per Lindberg