Re: tengwar tattoo

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      --- In #6420 of elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fronk_91" wrote:
      [snip]
      > The code for each, in case the links doesn't work are as followed:
      > Sindarin: e7]6aj'6
      > Quenya: e7E5ajT5
      > Black Speech: e7z[Ej5%
      >
      > They are the codes i got out of the scribe, so assumed if
      > translated into tengwar would spell my name in that language. Is
      > this correct?

      No, it is not. Tengscribe does not translate anything. It works like this: If you had a text in Quenya, then you would choose "Quenya" to get the correct transcription. If you had a text in Black Speech, then you would choose "Black Speech", etc. If you have a text in a certain language, you have to choose that language so tengscribe can transcribe it accordingly. This is because the different languages use different orthographies, just as for instance the English orthography is different from the Spanish orthography.

      Since the name "Franklin" is in English, you'd have to choose the "English" option. However, it just so happens that the "Black Speech" option produces a very reasonable transcription of the name "Franklin", that is to say, a transcription that matches to the best of my knowledge the (English) tengwar inscription on the title page of The Lord of the Rings.

      A little word of warning on the "English" option of tengscribe: While it is sufficient for many English words, there are cases where it will not produce a good transcription. On the other hand, tengscribe will produce very accurate transcriptions of Sindarin or Quenya texts.

      You might also try to translate the name "Franklin" into the Quenya language or the Sindarin language before transcribing it with the tengwar script. I don't have sufficient knowledge of these languages for doing so. A good starting point for a translation might be the elfling yahoogroup (and their FAQ).

      --
      grüess
      mach
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
        On 2009-09-02 j_mach_wust wrote:
        > You might also try to translate the name "Franklin" into
        > the Quenya language or the Sindarin language before
        > transcribing it with the tengwar script. I don't have
        > sufficient knowledge of these languages for doing so. A
        > good starting point for a translation might be the
        > elfling yahoogroup (and their FAQ).

        I couldn't resist this one.

        _Franklin_ means "a land-owner of free but not noble birth" from
        Anglo-French _fraunclein_. Probably related to Old French _franc_
        meaning "free" (which of course is Germanic in origin).

        As it happens there is a Sindarin word _sant_ 'garden, field, yard
        or other place in private ownership whether enclosed or not' (VT
        42:20). For owner one may coin _safn*_ from the root
        _SAM_ 'have' (PE 17:173) (as if from an Eldarin _*samno*_)[^1],
        which would give the compound _santhafn_. In Tengwar this
        would be 81E[9rE5 or 8!E[rE5, depending on whether one thinks
        _t+h_ from _*t+s_ remains in a compound like this or coalesces
        to a _th_ sound. Unfortunately we don't know any Quenya cognate
        or translation for S. _sant_, but a cognate _santa*_ can easily
        be retroconstructed. There is a Quenya word _samno_ 'carpenter',
        so it may be advisable to use another derivation than in Sindarin
        for 'haver', say the simple _-o_. This would give something like
        _santasamo*_ for 'land-haver', (in Tengwar iE4#iEt^ ) if it's a
        man and _santasame*_ (Tengwar iE4#iEt$ ) if it's a woman.

        'Free person' may be Sindarin _lainion*_ (Tengwar jhE5`B5^ )
        for a man and _lainil*_ (Tengwar jhE5jT ) for a woman;
        Quenya might be _léro*_ (Tengwar j~V7Y ) for a man and
        _lére*_ (Tengwar j~V7R ) for a woman.

        [^1]: It's not advisable to use derivatives of _HAR_/3AR_
        like _haran_ (Etym. 360) in this case, since they all
        refer to **noble** persons (a reflection of Tolkien's emphasis!)
        and this is expressly not appropriate here!

        BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \