tengwar tattoo

  • fronk_91
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hello there...
      I am currently trying to write my surname in Tengwar for a tattoo on my left forearm. My surname is Franklin, and so far i have scoured many pages online for help. I have installed the tengwar Cursive font onto my notepad, so wrote my surname into it, and the result is shown in the link "Tengwar tattoo" (this may not appear unless the font is installed, although cant be certain?). However, i understand that that is translated into the font, and not the language, although my understanding is very limited about all this, most of the information just goes straight over my head! So i installed a program called "TengScribe", and put my name into it, with the results coming out in code, something to do with the latin keyboard i believe? Well i did it in 3 different languages, and the results are in the links above, the languages i used were : "Black Speech", "Sindarin", and "Quenya Speech". I was wondering if you would be able to check them for me and see if they are correct. The code for each, in case the links doesn't work are as followed:
      Sindarin: e7]6aj'6
      Quenya: e7E5ajT5
      Black Speech: e7z[Ej5%

      They are the codes i got out of the scribe, so assumed if translated into tengwar would spell my name in that language. Is this correct? The last aspect of the tattoos i don't understand is the different modes of Sindarin. If the above code is used for tengwar, what mode of Sindarin will it produce?
      My final outcome is my surname on my left forearm, but could you tell me what form is most popular amongst fans for tattoos? the 1 i feel looks best is he Quenya one, and my inspiration is Fernando Torres' tattoo on his arm, so do you know what language of the elves his is in?

      any help will be greatly appreciated, with a donation happily considered for any help received.

      Thanks a lot
      Ben Franklin
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        --- In #6420 of elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fronk_91" wrote:
        [snip]
        > The code for each, in case the links doesn't work are as followed:
        > Sindarin: e7]6aj'6
        > Quenya: e7E5ajT5
        > Black Speech: e7z[Ej5%
        >
        > They are the codes i got out of the scribe, so assumed if
        > translated into tengwar would spell my name in that language. Is
        > this correct?

        No, it is not. Tengscribe does not translate anything. It works like this: If you had a text in Quenya, then you would choose "Quenya" to get the correct transcription. If you had a text in Black Speech, then you would choose "Black Speech", etc. If you have a text in a certain language, you have to choose that language so tengscribe can transcribe it accordingly. This is because the different languages use different orthographies, just as for instance the English orthography is different from the Spanish orthography.

        Since the name "Franklin" is in English, you'd have to choose the "English" option. However, it just so happens that the "Black Speech" option produces a very reasonable transcription of the name "Franklin", that is to say, a transcription that matches to the best of my knowledge the (English) tengwar inscription on the title page of The Lord of the Rings.

        A little word of warning on the "English" option of tengscribe: While it is sufficient for many English words, there are cases where it will not produce a good transcription. On the other hand, tengscribe will produce very accurate transcriptions of Sindarin or Quenya texts.

        You might also try to translate the name "Franklin" into the Quenya language or the Sindarin language before transcribing it with the tengwar script. I don't have sufficient knowledge of these languages for doing so. A good starting point for a translation might be the elfling yahoogroup (and their FAQ).

        --
        grüess
        mach
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
          On 2009-09-02 j_mach_wust wrote:
          > You might also try to translate the name "Franklin" into
          > the Quenya language or the Sindarin language before
          > transcribing it with the tengwar script. I don't have
          > sufficient knowledge of these languages for doing so. A
          > good starting point for a translation might be the
          > elfling yahoogroup (and their FAQ).

          I couldn't resist this one.

          _Franklin_ means "a land-owner of free but not noble birth" from
          Anglo-French _fraunclein_. Probably related to Old French _franc_
          meaning "free" (which of course is Germanic in origin).

          As it happens there is a Sindarin word _sant_ 'garden, field, yard
          or other place in private ownership whether enclosed or not' (VT
          42:20). For owner one may coin _safn*_ from the root
          _SAM_ 'have' (PE 17:173) (as if from an Eldarin _*samno*_)[^1],
          which would give the compound _santhafn_. In Tengwar this
          would be 81E[9rE5 or 8!E[rE5, depending on whether one thinks
          _t+h_ from _*t+s_ remains in a compound like this or coalesces
          to a _th_ sound. Unfortunately we don't know any Quenya cognate
          or translation for S. _sant_, but a cognate _santa*_ can easily
          be retroconstructed. There is a Quenya word _samno_ 'carpenter',
          so it may be advisable to use another derivation than in Sindarin
          for 'haver', say the simple _-o_. This would give something like
          _santasamo*_ for 'land-haver', (in Tengwar iE4#iEt^ ) if it's a
          man and _santasame*_ (Tengwar iE4#iEt$ ) if it's a woman.

          'Free person' may be Sindarin _lainion*_ (Tengwar jhE5`B5^ )
          for a man and _lainil*_ (Tengwar jhE5jT ) for a woman;
          Quenya might be _léro*_ (Tengwar j~V7Y ) for a man and
          _lére*_ (Tengwar j~V7R ) for a woman.

          [^1]: It's not advisable to use derivatives of _HAR_/3AR_
          like _haran_ (Etym. 360) in this case, since they all
          refer to **noble** persons (a reflection of Tolkien's emphasis!)
          and this is expressly not appropriate here!

          BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \