English Sounds

  • Michael Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2002
      Made some modifications, and it does not always follow the
      English I speak, but ..

      p p=pit
      b b=ball
      t t=tag
      d d=dip/card
      k k/c=kit/character
      g g=guard/bag
      ? u=uh-oh t=hatrack
      f f=foot/gh=laugh
      v v=vest/dove
      th th=through
      dh (dh) th=the/their
      s s=soap ps=psycology
      z z=zip s=roads
      sh sh=shy/ss=mission
      zh (zh) s=measure
      h wh=who/h=hat
      ch ch=choke/match
      jh dj=judge, j=judge/ght=righteous
      m m=moose mb=lamb
      n n=nap, gn=design
      ng ng=sing
      l l=leaf/ll=lloyd
      r r=reef/fear
      tt t=writer dd=udder
      w w=with (voiceless W)
      y y=you/eau=beautiful
      wh voiced wh=which

      -m um=possum (um)
      -n on=button (un)
      -l le=single (ul)
      -r er=ladder (ur)

      ay i=bite (iiee?)
      aw ou=bout (ow?)
      oy oy=boy (oi) oi=boil

      i ea=beat/e=we
      I i=bit
      e ai=bait/eig=reign
      E e=bet
      ae a=bat
      u oo=boot/o=who
      U u=put
      o oa=boat/eau=beau
      ) ough=bought/augh=caught
      ah o=pot
      ^ u=but/ou=tough
      A a=among/u=focus/a=sofa

      --
      Love Humor or just love to share it?
      Then join or send to me at Adulthumor-l@egroups.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2002
        Teithant Michael Adams:

        jh dj=judge, judge/ght = righteous

        I think you meant 'dge = judge' ... there is no 'dj' in the word. 'ght'
        = righteous? Really? You pronounce it 'rye - juss'? According to the
        phonetic respellings in dictionaries and every spoken example I've
        heard, this sound (actually, the 't' in 'righteous'; the 'gh' is
        attached to the 'i' to lengthen it and has no bearing on the following
        consonant) has the same sound you list as 'ch'.

        tt t=writer dd=udder
        ah o=pot

        Apparently you mean 'American English sounds'. In standard English,
        '-t-' and '-dd-' do _not_ have the same sound. Similarly, 'o = ah' is
        not Standard English. Standard pronunciation of short 'o' is as in
        'ford'; 'pot' has that vowel sound.

        w w=with (voiceless W)
        wh = voiced wh=which

        Actually, you have that backwards ... sort of. 'w' in 'with' is voiced.
        'wh' in 'which' is voiceless ... in certain regional dialects. Most
        varieties of English do not distinguish between voiced and voiceless 'w'
        except in writing and always use the voiced version in pronunciation.

        I i=bit

        Using an upper case 'I' here looks like a lower case 'L' on my browser!

        ^ u=but/ou = tough

        But above, you wrote "? u=uh-oh" ... this is the same sound as the 'u'
        in 'but' or the 'ou' in 'tough'. Did you mean that you use '?' to
        represent the glottal stop? If so, that is _not_ the 'u' in 'uh-oh'.

        Cuio mae, Danny.

        ~ I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to do ... you're just jealous
        because the voices are talking to ME! ~