Re: Question

  • assassincat
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
      > * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo
      miiri oiale")

      Ah, of course! How foolish, knew I should've had that eidetic memory
      installed... ;)

      > * you cant be more correct :)

      Why thank you! And watch me grin goofily in excitement over my
      little achievement...

      Thanks again!
      alex
    • blurr992001
      Message 2 of 16 , May 14, 2004
        My dog which I had for over 16 years just died on Sunday and I want
        to get a tattoo with her name in Elvish.
        I guess I am not the first one to ask a question like this, but how
        can I have people check if I wrote the name correctly.
        Her name is/was "Laska" and I have a JPG of my transcription. Is
        there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
        correctly?

        Thanks!

        tobi
      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 16 , May 15, 2004
          blurr992001 wrote:
          > Is
          > there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
          > correctly?

          Yes, you can use the files section on the group home page for that.

          Harri Perälä
        • blurr992001
          Message 4 of 16 , May 15, 2004
            Thanks Harri!
            I just posted the file. It's "Laska.jpg"
            Could anyone tell me if this is correct?
            Thanks guys!

            tobi
          • machhezan
            Message 5 of 16 , May 16, 2004
              Hi Tobi

              All correct! You've chosen a general use mode with the tehtar on the
              preceding letters, which is perfectly adequate.

              There's a slight danger that one could misread it as 'alsak', since in
              the general use, the tehtar are often placed on the following sign.
              That danger might be erased by placing the tehtar of 'Laska' on the
              following sign, too, which would give 'lambe, silme nuquerna +
              a-tehta, quesse, short carrier + a-tehta'. However, your own
              transcription is esthetically much better, so I'd stick to your own
              suggestion.

              Another danger of misreading is that one could think it'd be written
              in the classical Quenya mode, where it would read 'lasqua'. Again,
              that danger could be erased by choosing the above cited transcription,
              but again, I'd stick to your own transcription, since it's more beautiful.

            • Andromeda
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 26, 2011
                When did this stop being about Tolkiens languages and a haven for Indian HNGs?