Re: Question

  • assassincat
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
      > In the attested Sindarin tehta mode, 'uir' is written as 'anna'
      with the
      > 'u' curl above it followed by 'óre'.

      Thank you very much for the clarification! It's very good of you all
      to act as foils and editors for we stumbling newbies, lost amidst
      the modal variants... <G>

      alex
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002

        teithant assassincat

        > Actually, I simply hadn't come across the Quenya translation yet...

        but thank you, I'll be happy to give her all the available options.

        * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo miiri oiale")

        >Now, given that I am very new at this - how would I transcribe that

        exactly? Do I count 'oi' as a dipthong and would then 'a' be on a
        short carrier followed by lambe with the acute accent for 'e'?
        (Quenya has the tehtar above the preceeding consonant, yes?)

        * you cant be more correct :)

      • assassincat
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
          > * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo
          miiri oiale")

          Ah, of course! How foolish, knew I should've had that eidetic memory
          installed... ;)

          > * you cant be more correct :)

          Why thank you! And watch me grin goofily in excitement over my
          little achievement...

          Thanks again!
          alex
        • blurr992001
          Message 4 of 16 , May 14, 2004
            My dog which I had for over 16 years just died on Sunday and I want
            to get a tattoo with her name in Elvish.
            I guess I am not the first one to ask a question like this, but how
            can I have people check if I wrote the name correctly.
            Her name is/was "Laska" and I have a JPG of my transcription. Is
            there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
            correctly?

            Thanks!

            tobi
          • Harri Perälä
            Message 5 of 16 , May 15, 2004
              blurr992001 wrote:
              > Is
              > there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
              > correctly?

              Yes, you can use the files section on the group home page for that.

              Harri Perälä
            • blurr992001
              Message 6 of 16 , May 15, 2004
                Thanks Harri!
                I just posted the file. It's "Laska.jpg"
                Could anyone tell me if this is correct?
                Thanks guys!

                tobi
              • machhezan
                Message 7 of 16 , May 16, 2004
                  Hi Tobi

                  All correct! You've chosen a general use mode with the tehtar on the
                  preceding letters, which is perfectly adequate.

                  There's a slight danger that one could misread it as 'alsak', since in
                  the general use, the tehtar are often placed on the following sign.
                  That danger might be erased by placing the tehtar of 'Laska' on the
                  following sign, too, which would give 'lambe, silme nuquerna +
                  a-tehta, quesse, short carrier + a-tehta'. However, your own
                  transcription is esthetically much better, so I'd stick to your own
                  suggestion.

                  Another danger of misreading is that one could think it'd be written
                  in the classical Quenya mode, where it would read 'lasqua'. Again,
                  that danger could be erased by choosing the above cited transcription,
                  but again, I'd stick to your own transcription, since it's more beautiful.

                • Andromeda
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26, 2011
                    When did this stop being about Tolkiens languages and a haven for Indian HNGs?