Re: [elfscript] Question

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2002

      teithant assassincat

      > I have, perhaps foolishly, agreed to help a friend find an elvish

      translation for a tattoo. (Yes, another one - at this rate there
      will be more elvish inscriptions on bodies than in books.) At any
      rate, she wants 'eternity', which an online dictionary tells me
      translates as 'uir' in Sindarin. So my question is this: if I am
      transcribing 'uir' using Sindarin Tehtar mode, should the final 'r'
      be represented by σre or rσmen?

      * why note Quenya oiale? its longer and more beautiful

    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2002
        In the attested Sindarin tehta mode, 'uir' is written as 'anna' with the
        'u' curl above it followed by 'óre'. As for Quenya 'oiale' ... yes,
        it's longer. but size isn't important in ALL matters. More beautiful?
        That's matter of opinion. Remember, there are those of us who actually
        prefer Sindarin; we're not going to change our preference just because
        there are more Quenya enthusiasts out there. I have no desire to be
        tattooed, but if I did, I would choose to have it done in the language I
        prefer!

        Cuio mae. Danny.
      • assassincat
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

          > * why note Quenya oiale? its longer and more beautiful

          Actually, I simply hadn't come across the Quenya translation yet...
          but thank you, I'll be happy to give her all the available options.
          Now, given that I am very new at this - how would I transcribe that
          exactly? Do I count 'oi' as a dipthong and would then 'a' be on a
          short carrier followed by lambe with the acute accent for 'e'?
          (Quenya has the tehtar above the preceeding consonant, yes?)
          Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to be as correct as
          possible.

          alex
        • assassincat
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
            > In the attested Sindarin tehta mode, 'uir' is written as 'anna'
            with the
            > 'u' curl above it followed by 'óre'.

            Thank you very much for the clarification! It's very good of you all
            to act as foils and editors for we stumbling newbies, lost amidst
            the modal variants... <G>

            alex
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002

              teithant assassincat

              > Actually, I simply hadn't come across the Quenya translation yet...

              but thank you, I'll be happy to give her all the available options.

              * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo miiri oiale")

              >Now, given that I am very new at this - how would I transcribe that

              exactly? Do I count 'oi' as a dipthong and would then 'a' be on a
              short carrier followed by lambe with the acute accent for 'e'?
              (Quenya has the tehtar above the preceeding consonant, yes?)

              * you cant be more correct :)

            • assassincat
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
                > * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo
                miiri oiale")

                Ah, of course! How foolish, knew I should've had that eidetic memory
                installed... ;)

                > * you cant be more correct :)

                Why thank you! And watch me grin goofily in excitement over my
                little achievement...

                Thanks again!
                alex
              • blurr992001
                Message 7 of 16 , May 14, 2004
                  My dog which I had for over 16 years just died on Sunday and I want
                  to get a tattoo with her name in Elvish.
                  I guess I am not the first one to ask a question like this, but how
                  can I have people check if I wrote the name correctly.
                  Her name is/was "Laska" and I have a JPG of my transcription. Is
                  there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
                  correctly?

                  Thanks!

                  tobi
                • Harri Perälä
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 15, 2004
                    blurr992001 wrote:
                    > Is
                    > there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
                    > correctly?

                    Yes, you can use the files section on the group home page for that.

                    Harri Perälä
                  • blurr992001
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 15, 2004
                      Thanks Harri!
                      I just posted the file. It's "Laska.jpg"
                      Could anyone tell me if this is correct?
                      Thanks guys!

                      tobi
                    • machhezan
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 16, 2004
                        Hi Tobi

                        All correct! You've chosen a general use mode with the tehtar on the
                        preceding letters, which is perfectly adequate.

                        There's a slight danger that one could misread it as 'alsak', since in
                        the general use, the tehtar are often placed on the following sign.
                        That danger might be erased by placing the tehtar of 'Laska' on the
                        following sign, too, which would give 'lambe, silme nuquerna +
                        a-tehta, quesse, short carrier + a-tehta'. However, your own
                        transcription is esthetically much better, so I'd stick to your own
                        suggestion.

                        Another danger of misreading is that one could think it'd be written
                        in the classical Quenya mode, where it would read 'lasqua'. Again,
                        that danger could be erased by choosing the above cited transcription,
                        but again, I'd stick to your own transcription, since it's more beautiful.

                      • Andromeda
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 26, 2011
                          When did this stop being about Tolkiens languages and a haven for Indian HNGs?