Re: Teng Scribe

  • blacksidh
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002
      It's not sad, it's kind of cool. You can communicate on the web in
      tengwar if you choose; not by scanning in drawings, but typing &
      encoding the font in your HTML.

      We're playing with that kind of thing on LJ, which is a message board
      system unlike Yahoo!Groups in that it allows HTML code in messages.
      So not only e-mail, but bulletin-boards and web-pages can be writ in
      tengwar. On this Yahoo!Group you can only exchange tengwar samples
      via image enclosures, imagine being able to type and chat real-time in
      tengwar.

      The purity or quality of learning isn't the issue here, the fact that
      you will have other places to read elfscript and other writers to
      communicate with should get your attention.

      0-o

      This thing about "it's the best way" "it's the only way to truly
      understand" is hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip that
      shouldn't be played on people TRYING TO LEARN in a mode they enjoy.

      You should be happy, i repeat, that you will have more people with
      whom you may share your writing, poetry, calligraphy, etc.: and that
      there will be more contributing writers for you to read and places for
      you to find the tengwar in use.

      ~B~

      http://www.livejournal.com/community/sindarin
      http://www.livejournal.com/community/tengwar

      --- In elfscript@y..., "Henry Quinn" <henry@m...> wrote:
      > Aye 'tis sad but true.
      >
      > Henry

      existed :) i have bought a calligraphic pen just to write them (well
      id ont use it very frequently) because my real handwriting reminds me
      of linearA!

      > but hey, we communicate through emails, and we probably will never
      meet each other in person (or even in "handwriting" range) so that's
      why the fonts are useful :)

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002

        teithant Kimberly

        > I have used tengscribe but It IS quite confusing I don't get it either.It
        keeps popping numbers at me.

        * i guess you havent installed the fonts correctly

      • Henry Quinn
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002
          Yap yap yap.
          This is no, and I qoute "hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip" it
          is my experience.
          The first time I started learning Tengwar was about a week after the movie
          came out in my country,
          which was December 2001. And so far I know half the symbols off by heart. If
          you have read my previous
          posts you would know that everything I say is MY opinion.

          So do not attack me by saying such nonsense. Aye, I could have phrased it
          better and I apologise for that.
          What was meant was it is the only way I have found to fully understand the
          language, which bring me back to it is MY opinion.

          So next time, please do not attack a person by one miswritten sentence.
          Rather say you disagree, than start throwing words around. I am not on any
          "superiority trip".

          I humbly take my leave

          Henry