Re: [elfscript] Teng Scribe

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002

      teithant Henry Quinn

      > Writing tengwar by hand is the best way, that is the only way to understand

      it
      fully, to recognise the symbols and write them without a reference. Even
      though
      my hand writing sucks, I enjoy writing tengwar. My friend and I even sat
      translating a coke can's text to tengwar for the fun.

      * well yes, i learnt writing tengwar when no tengwar program yet existed :) i have bought a calligraphic pen just to write them (well id ont use it very frequently) because my real handwriting reminds me of linearA!

      but hey, we communicate through emails, and we probably will never meet each other in person (or even in "handwriting" range) so that's why the fonts are useful :)

    • Henry Quinn
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        Aye 'tis sad but true.

        Henry
        > Writing tengwar by hand is the best way, that is the only way to understand
        it
        fully, to recognise the symbols and write them without a reference. Even
        though
        my hand writing sucks, I enjoy writing tengwar. My friend and I even sat
        translating a coke can's text to tengwar for the fun.

        * well yes, i learnt writing tengwar when no tengwar program yet existed :) i have bought a calligraphic pen just to write them (well id ont use it very frequently) because my real handwriting reminds me of linearA!

        but hey, we communicate through emails, and we probably will never meet each other in person (or even in "handwriting" range) so that's why the fonts are useful :)

      • Kimberly
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2002
          I have used tengscribe but It IS quite confusing I don't get it either.It
          keeps popping numbers at me.
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002
            It's not sad, it's kind of cool. You can communicate on the web in
            tengwar if you choose; not by scanning in drawings, but typing &
            encoding the font in your HTML.

            We're playing with that kind of thing on LJ, which is a message board
            system unlike Yahoo!Groups in that it allows HTML code in messages.
            So not only e-mail, but bulletin-boards and web-pages can be writ in
            tengwar. On this Yahoo!Group you can only exchange tengwar samples
            via image enclosures, imagine being able to type and chat real-time in
            tengwar.

            The purity or quality of learning isn't the issue here, the fact that
            you will have other places to read elfscript and other writers to
            communicate with should get your attention.

            0-o

            This thing about "it's the best way" "it's the only way to truly
            understand" is hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip that
            shouldn't be played on people TRYING TO LEARN in a mode they enjoy.

            You should be happy, i repeat, that you will have more people with
            whom you may share your writing, poetry, calligraphy, etc.: and that
            there will be more contributing writers for you to read and places for
            you to find the tengwar in use.

            ~B~

            http://www.livejournal.com/community/sindarin
            http://www.livejournal.com/community/tengwar

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002

              teithant Kimberly

              > I have used tengscribe but It IS quite confusing I don't get it either.It
              keeps popping numbers at me.

              * i guess you havent installed the fonts correctly

            • Henry Quinn
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 4, 2002
                Yap yap yap.
                This is no, and I qoute "hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip" it
                is my experience.
                The first time I started learning Tengwar was about a week after the movie
                came out in my country,
                which was December 2001. And so far I know half the symbols off by heart. If
                you have read my previous
                posts you would know that everything I say is MY opinion.

                So do not attack me by saying such nonsense. Aye, I could have phrased it
                better and I apologise for that.
                What was meant was it is the only way I have found to fully understand the
                language, which bring me back to it is MY opinion.

                So next time, please do not attack a person by one miswritten sentence.
                Rather say you disagree, than start throwing words around. I am not on any
                "superiority trip".

                I humbly take my leave

                Henry