Re: [elfscript] Re: Tengwar tattoo

  • Ariel Barton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
      What you want to do is download a Tengwar font (Tengwar Annatar is nice:
      http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html) and install it on
      your computer like any other font. Then open a word processor or text
      editor, switch to that font, and copy and paste in t$jt$ `C6 `Cjt%`V. You
      should get tengwar that way.

      (For what it's worth, t$jt$ `C6 `Cjt%`V does produce the correct Quenya
      transcription of "melme ar almie".)

      -Ariel

      On 2/13/09, christiantreure <christiantreure@...> wrote:

      > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <melroch@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Those words are not qute right. _mel_ is just a word stem.
      > > The word for 'love' is _melme_.
      > >
      > > 'Luck' was _valto_ only in the earliest version of Qenya from 1910s.
      > > Later Tolkien decided that the word _Valar_ meant 'the powerful
      > ones'
      > > rather than 'the happy ones', so the root _val_ changed meaning
      > to 'power'.
      > > The later word for 'happines, good fortune' is _almie_ or _almáre_,
      > > so our best bet for 'love and luck' is
      > >
      > > _melme ar almie_,
      > >
      > > which also has a nice sound to it!
      >

      > Thanks alot for your help!
      > Now, i've followed your advice and downloaded the TengScribe..
      > Here comes another problem..
      > I've paste the words in the program, but i don't get to see any
      > Tengwar script at all..
      > Just some form of code or something.. Could you tell me what to do
      > with this code? Or am I doing it wrong again? ;)
      > I've red all the texts in the help option, but i didn't get any
      > further (my english is not that good..)
      >
      > Here's a link to the printscreen i've made:

      > 01312163/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >
      > Christian

    • Benct Philip Jonsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
        On 2009-02-13 christiantreure wrote:
        > Thanks alot for your help! Now, i've followed your advice
        > and downloaded the TengScribe.. H

        Someone else may have advised you to download
        TengScribe (and Tengwar fonts I suppose) but
        that is kind of overkill if all you want is a
        transcription for a tattoo. I gave you this link:

        http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=36&t=dCRqdCQgYEM2IGBDanQlYFY=

        which AFAIK still works.

        The TinyURL I gave unfortunately doesn't work
        anymore. Sorry about that.

        /Melroch