Tengwar tattoo

  • christiantreure
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi, i'm new here and i would like to have a tattoo of the words: 'love'
      and 'luck' in the script Tengwar.
      My own researches has brought me this far: ( Please correct me if i'm
      wrong )

      English: Quenya:

      Love mel

      Luck valto

      Now i've tried to know how these words are written in the script
      Tengwar.
      I've found an alphabet in this script and have copied and paste it
      letter by letter.

      I really hope that one of you ( who probbably knows alot more than me of
      this subject ) could tell me if i'm right or wrong.
      The script will be for life on my body, so it would be a shame when it's
      spelled wrong or something.
      Here's a link of the picture i've made :

      ;jsessionid=2B00672263ADCD8A1E9F95854E722817
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/photos/album/1985567614/pic/lis\
      t;jsessionid=2B00672263ADCD8A1E9F95854E722817> .

      Thanks a lot for your help! I hope I will have a lot of reactions and
      explanations..

      (Btw: sorry if my English is not so good, i'm from holland! :) )

    • Benct Philip Jonsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
        On 2009-02-10 christiantreure wrote:
        > Hi, i'm new here and i would like to have a tattoo of the words:
        > 'love' and 'luck' in the script Tengwar. My own researches has
        > brought me this far: ( Please correct me if i'm wrong )
        >
        > English: Quenya:
        >
        > Love mel
        >
        > Luck valto

        Those words are not qute right. _mel_ is just a word stem.
        The word for 'love' is _melme_.

        'Luck' was _valto_ only in the earliest version of Qenya from 1910s.
        Later Tolkien decided that the word _Valar_ meant 'the powerful ones'
        rather than 'the happy ones', so the root _val_ changed meaning to 'power'.
        The later word for 'happines, good fortune' is _almie_ or _almáre_,
        so our best bet for 'love and luck' is

        _melme ar almie_,

        which also has a nice sound to it!

        > Now i've tried to know how these words are written in the script
        > Tengwar. I've found an alphabet in this script and have copied and
        > paste it letter by letter.

        Not a very effective method. Follow this link instead:

        http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=36&t=dCRqdCQgYEM2IGBDanQlYFY=

        (In case the link breaks just paste

        http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php

        and

        ?f=p&s=36&t=dCRqdCQgYEM2IGBDanQlYFY=

        after each other in your browser address bar and hit return)

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
      • christiantreure
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <melroch@...>
          wrote:

          > Those words are not qute right. _mel_ is just a word stem.
          > The word for 'love' is _melme_.
          >
          > 'Luck' was _valto_ only in the earliest version of Qenya from 1910s.
          > Later Tolkien decided that the word _Valar_ meant 'the powerful
          ones'
          > rather than 'the happy ones', so the root _val_ changed meaning
          to 'power'.
          > The later word for 'happines, good fortune' is _almie_ or _almáre_,
          > so our best bet for 'love and luck' is
          >
          > _melme ar almie_,
          >
          > which also has a nice sound to it!

          Thanks alot for your help!
          Now, i've followed your advice and downloaded the TengScribe..
          Here comes another problem..
          I've paste the words in the program, but i don't get to see any
          Tengwar script at all..
          Just some form of code or something.. Could you tell me what to do
          with this code? Or am I doing it wrong again? ;)
          I've red all the texts in the help option, but i didn't get any
          further (my english is not that good..)

          Here's a link to the printscreen i've made:

          01312163/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

          Thanks again!

          Christian
        • Ariel Barton
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
            What you want to do is download a Tengwar font (Tengwar Annatar is nice:
            http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html) and install it on
            your computer like any other font. Then open a word processor or text
            editor, switch to that font, and copy and paste in t$jt$ `C6 `Cjt%`V. You
            should get tengwar that way.

            (For what it's worth, t$jt$ `C6 `Cjt%`V does produce the correct Quenya
            transcription of "melme ar almie".)

            -Ariel

            On 2/13/09, christiantreure <christiantreure@...> wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <melroch@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Those words are not qute right. _mel_ is just a word stem.
            > > The word for 'love' is _melme_.
            > >
            > > 'Luck' was _valto_ only in the earliest version of Qenya from 1910s.
            > > Later Tolkien decided that the word _Valar_ meant 'the powerful
            > ones'
            > > rather than 'the happy ones', so the root _val_ changed meaning
            > to 'power'.
            > > The later word for 'happines, good fortune' is _almie_ or _almáre_,
            > > so our best bet for 'love and luck' is
            > >
            > > _melme ar almie_,
            > >
            > > which also has a nice sound to it!
            >

            > Thanks alot for your help!
            > Now, i've followed your advice and downloaded the TengScribe..
            > Here comes another problem..
            > I've paste the words in the program, but i don't get to see any
            > Tengwar script at all..
            > Just some form of code or something.. Could you tell me what to do
            > with this code? Or am I doing it wrong again? ;)
            > I've red all the texts in the help option, but i didn't get any
            > further (my english is not that good..)
            >
            > Here's a link to the printscreen i've made:

            > 01312163/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > Christian

          • Benct Philip Jonsson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
              On 2009-02-13 christiantreure wrote:
              > Thanks alot for your help! Now, i've followed your advice
              > and downloaded the TengScribe.. H

              Someone else may have advised you to download
              TengScribe (and Tengwar fonts I suppose) but
              that is kind of overkill if all you want is a
              transcription for a tattoo. I gave you this link:

              http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/obrazek.php?f=p&s=36&t=dCRqdCQgYEM2IGBDanQlYFY=

              which AFAIK still works.

              The TinyURL I gave unfortunately doesn't work
              anymore. Sorry about that.

              /Melroch