Re: [elfscript] Quenya tattoo

  • Ariel Barton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28 11:07 AM
      The first one says "nóle ar túre". It's written in a sort of archaic
      spelling --- Feanor would definitely spell it that way, but in Feanor's day,
      nóle and númen started with different consonants. By the Third Age, most
      Elves pronounced nóle and númen as starting with the same sound.

      Somewhere Tolkien said that words like nóle (which used to start with a ng
      instead of an n) should be spelled with tengwa 19, as you have it. However,
      it was pretty common, when he was writing Tengwar, to ignore this sort of
      rule. So you could also spell it with a tengwa 17 (númen) instead of the
      tengwa 19 (noldo) that you have.

      The second one says "ngwóle ar túre". I have no idea where that came from.

      I'm not going to comment on the translation of nóle ar túre, because while I
      know a fair amount about Tengwar, I don't know much about Quenya. You might
      check the Quenya wordlists at http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/wordlists.htm.

      (By the way, I don't know how your browser will mangle this email, but ó is
      meant to be o-with-acute-accent, ú is meant to be u-with-acute-accent. The
      final es might be spelled e-with-two-overdots in the Quenya wordlist. Don't
      worry about the overdots.)

      -Ariel

      On 8/28/08, petite_gavroche49 <petite_gavroche@...> wrote:

      > Hiya, i was wondering if anyone can help me - I'd like to get a Quenya
      > tattoo soon and as much as I am an addicted Tolkien fan and reader,
      > unfortunately I'm not very language-wise... Anyway, these are the two
      > ideas I came up with:
      >
      > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen1.jpg
      > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen.jpg
      >
      > It's supposed to be "wisdom & strenght". Can anyone tell me which one
      > is "proper"? Or if they're both wrong and suggest how to do it instead?
      > I'd be very grateful for any help, cos I can't wait to get the tat :)

    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28 11:23 AM
        I agree that the first version is best. However, note that _túre_
        primarily means "mastery, victory" (only Tolkien's earliest 'drafts'
        of Quenya provide the meaning "strength"). A better word might be
        _tuo_, translated as "vigour, physical strength".

        Yours,
        Måns

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Ariel Barton" <origamist@...> wrote:

        > The first one says "nóle ar túre". It's written in a sort of archaic
        > spelling --- Feanor would definitely spell it that way, but in
        Feanor's day,
        > nóle and númen started with different consonants. By the Third Age, most
        > Elves pronounced nóle and númen as starting with the same sound.
        >
        > Somewhere Tolkien said that words like nóle (which used to start
        with a ng
        > instead of an n) should be spelled with tengwa 19, as you have it.
        However,
        > it was pretty common, when he was writing Tengwar, to ignore this
        sort of
        > rule. So you could also spell it with a tengwa 17 (númen) instead of the
        > tengwa 19 (noldo) that you have.
        >
        > The second one says "ngwóle ar túre". I have no idea where that came
        from.

        > I'm not going to comment on the translation of nóle ar túre, because
        while I
        > know a fair amount about Tengwar, I don't know much about Quenya.
        You might
        > check the Quenya wordlists at
        http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/wordlists.htm.

        > (By the way, I don't know how your browser will mangle this email,
        but ó is
        > meant to be o-with-acute-accent, ú is meant to be
        u-with-acute-accent. The
        > final es might be spelled e-with-two-overdots in the Quenya
        wordlist. Don't
        > worry about the overdots.)
        >
        > -Ariel
        >
        > On 8/28/08, petite_gavroche49 <petite_gavroche@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hiya, i was wondering if anyone can help me - I'd like to get a Quenya
        > > tattoo soon and as much as I am an addicted Tolkien fan and reader,
        > > unfortunately I'm not very language-wise... Anyway, these are the two
        > > ideas I came up with:
        > >
        > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen1.jpg
        > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen.jpg
        > >
        > > It's supposed to be "wisdom & strenght". Can anyone tell me which one
        > > is "proper"? Or if they're both wrong and suggest how to do it
        instead?
        > > I'd be very grateful for any help, cos I can't wait to get the tat :)

      • petite_gavroche49
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28 3:09 PM
          Thanks a lot, guys, you've been very helpful :)

          About the "strenght" - this first meaning of "túre" is more or less
          what I was aiming for ;)

          gavroche