Quenya tattoo

  • petite_gavroche49
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2008
      Hiya, i was wondering if anyone can help me - I'd like to get a Quenya
      tattoo soon and as much as I am an addicted Tolkien fan and reader,
      unfortunately I'm not very language-wise... Anyway, these are the two
      ideas I came up with:

      http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen1.jpg
      http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen.jpg

      It's supposed to be "wisdom & strenght". Can anyone tell me which one
      is "proper"? Or if they're both wrong and suggest how to do it instead?
      I'd be very grateful for any help, cos I can't wait to get the tat :)
    • Ariel Barton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2008
        The first one says "nóle ar túre". It's written in a sort of archaic
        spelling --- Feanor would definitely spell it that way, but in Feanor's day,
        nóle and númen started with different consonants. By the Third Age, most
        Elves pronounced nóle and númen as starting with the same sound.

        Somewhere Tolkien said that words like nóle (which used to start with a ng
        instead of an n) should be spelled with tengwa 19, as you have it. However,
        it was pretty common, when he was writing Tengwar, to ignore this sort of
        rule. So you could also spell it with a tengwa 17 (númen) instead of the
        tengwa 19 (noldo) that you have.

        The second one says "ngwóle ar túre". I have no idea where that came from.

        I'm not going to comment on the translation of nóle ar túre, because while I
        know a fair amount about Tengwar, I don't know much about Quenya. You might
        check the Quenya wordlists at http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/wordlists.htm.

        (By the way, I don't know how your browser will mangle this email, but ó is
        meant to be o-with-acute-accent, ú is meant to be u-with-acute-accent. The
        final es might be spelled e-with-two-overdots in the Quenya wordlist. Don't
        worry about the overdots.)

        -Ariel

        On 8/28/08, petite_gavroche49 <petite_gavroche@...> wrote:

        > Hiya, i was wondering if anyone can help me - I'd like to get a Quenya
        > tattoo soon and as much as I am an addicted Tolkien fan and reader,
        > unfortunately I'm not very language-wise... Anyway, these are the two
        > ideas I came up with:
        >
        > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen1.jpg
        > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/petite_gavroche/quen.jpg
        >
        > It's supposed to be "wisdom & strenght". Can anyone tell me which one
        > is "proper"? Or if they're both wrong and suggest how to do it instead?
        > I'd be very grateful for any help, cos I can't wait to get the tat :)

      • Mans Bjorkman
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2008
          I agree that the first version is best. However, note that _túre_
          primarily means "mastery, victory" (only Tolkien's earliest 'drafts'
          of Quenya provide the meaning "strength"). A better word might be
          _tuo_, translated as "vigour, physical strength".

          Yours,
          Måns

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2008
            Thanks a lot, guys, you've been very helpful :)

            About the "strenght" - this first meaning of "túre" is more or less
            what I was aiming for ;)

            gavroche