Teng Scribe

  • ladyclaris
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
      Greetings- I found this program-TengwarSribe but I am having some
      difficulty getting it to do what I would like. I also found another
      program YATT- try to download this but the email has not returned -
      has anyone used these before. I am very new to this and any advice
      would be great. Thanks-Ladyclaris
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002

        teithant ladyclaris

        >Greetings- I found this program-TengwarSribe  but I am having some
        difficulty getting it to do what I would like. I also found another
        program YATT- try to download this but the email has not returned -
        has anyone used these before. I am very new to this and any advice
        would be great. Thanks-Ladyclaris

        * well.. advice on what? what do you mean "difficulties"?

      • ladyclaris
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

          > Thank you for your reply-The program translates english to Quenya-
          > it appears like- AE5,Ex26..etc but is suppose to appear in the
          Tengwar cursive font. I am trying to understand the program and how
          it work or how to take the code given and apply the correct lettering
          by hand. Thankyou for your patience-Ladyclaris

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002

            teithant ladyclaris

            >  Thank you for your reply-The program translates english to Quenya-
            > it appears like- AE5,Ex26..etc but is suppose to appear in the

            Tengwar cursive font. I am trying to understand the program and how
            it work or how to take the code given and apply the correct lettering
            by hand.  Thankyou for your patience-Ladyclaris

            * well  download the cursive font or dan smith's fonts and then you can begin trying to understand

          • Robin Bruce
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
              I too had to fiddle with this program and the way I got it to work was to download the cursive tengwar program, install it and open it up on the terminal before it would show up on the page.  If I don't have it opened while trying trying to type in the cursive, it won't show up on the different writing modes.

              Aewen

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                But they have to be open on the computer while trying to type in the cursive, right?  At least for me that is the only time they show up.  If I close the program, then it disappears from my writing mode which goes back to Arial.

                Aewen

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002

                  teithant Robin Bruce

                  > But they have to be open on the computer while trying to type in the cursive, right?  At least for me that is the only time they show up.  If I close the program, then it disappears from my writing mode which goes back to Arial.

                  * well, fonts are installed permanently if you copy the font file to the directory c:\windows\fonts.. then you can see tengwar normally from now on

                • Robin Bruce
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                    I tried that and was successful with the Sindarin Modes, but for some reason, the only time that the cursive will show up is if I open the program.  Obviously I am not a computer expert!  LOL.

                    The other thing I wanted to run by you is......Gwingil as the word for mermaid, but could you also use Aearwen (sea woman)?  I understand that gwingil is "spray, foam", but would not Aearwen translate also into another relative name?

                    Aewen
                    > But they have to be open on the computer while trying to type in the cursive, right?  At least for me that is the only time they show up.  If I close the program, then it disappears from my writing mode which goes back to Arial.

                    * well, fonts are installed permanently if you copy the font file to the directory c:\windows\fonts.. then you can see tengwar normally from now on

                  • Henry Quinn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                      M'Lady

                      I too have used the TengwarScribe and have found it to be a good program,
                      but personally I prefer to translate the text myself and then use either a
                      font like;
                      Tengwar Cursive, or use scanned symbols to create the sentences.
                      Aye, this is perhaps a longer and more difficult process, but it also gives
                      me
                      a better understanding of the Language and how to write it. This way after a
                      while you can translate it in your head and write it with your own hand.

                      Just my opinion.

                      I humbly take my leave.

                      Henry

                      > Greetings- I found this program-TengwarSribe but I am having some
                      > difficulty getting it to do what I would like. I also found another
                      > program YATT- try to download this but the email has not returned -
                      > has anyone used these before. I am very new to this and any advice
                      > would be great. Thanks-Ladyclaris

                    • Graham McArthur
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                        Hi,

                        I normally remain a lurker, however I find it so odd that everyone
                        (almost) are looking for 'fonts', what has happened to handwriting?
                        Surely calligraphic tengwar is the best option. Besides there is not one
                        good Tengwar font out there, all of them are poor designs, in my opinion
                        only (now I will wait for the hate mail :) ).

                        Cheers,
                        Graham
                      • Henry Quinn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                          Hate mail?

                          I totally agree, I started learning tengwar when my best friend showed me
                          how it works, for some reason I caught on very quickly. And ever since
                          have been studying it I only got the font so I could make some tengwar
                          online
                          without having to scan or recreate it in a graphics prog.

                          Writing tengwar by hand is the best way, that is the only way to understand
                          it
                          fully, to recognise the symbols and write them without a reference. Even
                          though
                          my hand writing sucks, I enjoy writing tengwar. My friend and I even sat
                          translating a coke can's text to tengwar for the fun.

                          So all you new to tengwar. Get the symbols and start writing.

                          (Henry ducks behind a desk awaiting incoming hate mail)

                          I humbly take my leave.

                          Henry

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1 12:33 AM

                            teithant Henry Quinn

                            > Writing tengwar by hand is the best way, that is the only way to understand

                            it
                            fully, to recognise the symbols and write them without a reference. Even
                            though
                            my hand writing sucks, I enjoy writing tengwar. My friend and I even sat
                            translating a coke can's text to tengwar for the fun.

                            * well yes, i learnt writing tengwar when no tengwar program yet existed :) i have bought a calligraphic pen just to write them (well id ont use it very frequently) because my real handwriting reminds me of linearA!

                            but hey, we communicate through emails, and we probably will never meet each other in person (or even in "handwriting" range) so that's why the fonts are useful :)

                          • Henry Quinn
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1 12:51 AM
                              Aye 'tis sad but true.

                              Henry
                              > Writing tengwar by hand is the best way, that is the only way to understand
                              it
                              fully, to recognise the symbols and write them without a reference. Even
                              though
                              my hand writing sucks, I enjoy writing tengwar. My friend and I even sat
                              translating a coke can's text to tengwar for the fun.

                              * well yes, i learnt writing tengwar when no tengwar program yet existed :) i have bought a calligraphic pen just to write them (well id ont use it very frequently) because my real handwriting reminds me of linearA!

                              but hey, we communicate through emails, and we probably will never meet each other in person (or even in "handwriting" range) so that's why the fonts are useful :)

                            • Kimberly
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3 4:26 PM
                                I have used tengscribe but It IS quite confusing I don't get it either.It
                                keeps popping numbers at me.
                                > Greetings- I found this program-TengwarSribe but I am having some
                                > difficulty getting it to do what I would like. I also found another
                                > program YATT- try to download this but the email has not returned -
                                > has anyone used these before. I am very new to this and any advice
                                > would be great. Thanks-Ladyclaris

                              • blacksidh
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4 2:05 PM
                                  It's not sad, it's kind of cool. You can communicate on the web in
                                  tengwar if you choose; not by scanning in drawings, but typing &
                                  encoding the font in your HTML.

                                  We're playing with that kind of thing on LJ, which is a message board
                                  system unlike Yahoo!Groups in that it allows HTML code in messages.
                                  So not only e-mail, but bulletin-boards and web-pages can be writ in
                                  tengwar. On this Yahoo!Group you can only exchange tengwar samples
                                  via image enclosures, imagine being able to type and chat real-time in
                                  tengwar.

                                  The purity or quality of learning isn't the issue here, the fact that
                                  you will have other places to read elfscript and other writers to
                                  communicate with should get your attention.

                                  0-o

                                  This thing about "it's the best way" "it's the only way to truly
                                  understand" is hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip that
                                  shouldn't be played on people TRYING TO LEARN in a mode they enjoy.

                                  You should be happy, i repeat, that you will have more people with
                                  whom you may share your writing, poetry, calligraphy, etc.: and that
                                  there will be more contributing writers for you to read and places for
                                  you to find the tengwar in use.

                                  ~B~

                                  http://www.livejournal.com/community/sindarin
                                  http://www.livejournal.com/community/tengwar

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4 2:31 PM

                                    teithant Kimberly

                                    > I have used tengscribe but It IS quite confusing I don't get it either.It
                                    keeps popping numbers at me.

                                    * i guess you havent installed the fonts correctly

                                  • Henry Quinn
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4 10:51 PM
                                      Yap yap yap.
                                      This is no, and I qoute "hogwash, and a weird kind of superiority trip" it
                                      is my experience.
                                      The first time I started learning Tengwar was about a week after the movie
                                      came out in my country,
                                      which was December 2001. And so far I know half the symbols off by heart. If
                                      you have read my previous
                                      posts you would know that everything I say is MY opinion.

                                      So do not attack me by saying such nonsense. Aye, I could have phrased it
                                      better and I apologise for that.
                                      What was meant was it is the only way I have found to fully understand the
                                      language, which bring me back to it is MY opinion.

                                      So next time, please do not attack a person by one miswritten sentence.
                                      Rather say you disagree, than start throwing words around. I am not on any
                                      "superiority trip".

                                      I humbly take my leave

                                      Henry