Re: [elfscript] vowel questions. sindarin. tengwar scribe

  • Ariel Barton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2008
      (1) In a tehta mode, the proper way to write a long vowel (transcribed into
      the Latin alphabet as a vowel with an acute accent) is either the usual
      tehta for that vowel over a long carrier, or the usual tehta repeated twice.
      (In the case of i in Sindarin, you probably don't want to repeat it twice,
      since that looks just like the tehta for y.)

      E-mail is annoying because I can't change fonts, but if you switch the
      following to a tengwar font, you should get the right thing: 72#{~B6

      In a full mode, you put an accent over the tengwa for the vowel: 7]2{`V7

      (2) Okay, first: a tengwa is a "letter". All modes use these for consonants.
      A tehta is a diacritic: a bar/tilde/three little dots/one dot/etc. written
      above or below a consonant. An omatehta is a tehta used to write a vowel.
      (Other tehtar can represent n, m or doubled letters.) The phrase "individual
      tehtar instead of omatehtar" doesn't mean anything. An omatehta is a kind of
      tehta. I'm going to guess that by "individual tehtar" you meant "tengwar".

      There are two ways of writing Sindarin with tengwar that we know of. (And
      probably a whole lot more that we don't.) One of them is called the "mode of
      Beleriand" and was used (presumably) in Beleriand and Eregion. Examples
      include the Doors of Durin that lead into Moria, and the Elbereth song in
      "The Road Goes Ever On." This mode uses tengwar for vowels. (It still uses
      tehtar for n, m, and indicating long vowels.)

      The other mode is used in Gondor in the late third/early fourth Ages. The
      example we have is a letter Aragorn wrote to Sam about ten years post-War of
      the Rings. (It's published in "Sauron Defeated" and "J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist
      and Illustrator".) It uses tehtar for vowels.

      -Ariel