vowel questions. sindarin. tengwar scribe

  • ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2008
      ok, a couple of questions. first: i'm trying to transcribe randír,
      which has the accented I. what is the proper omatehtar for that? if
      someone can trascribe it for me, that would be great.

      2ndly, ive been using tengwar scribe (havnt touched it in a long time)
      and i've noticed the vowels are individual tehtar instead of
      omatehtar. so which is correct. the scribe version, or my version?

      revia
      7lr`]
      7RrT`C

      thanks
    • Ariel Barton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2008
        (1) In a tehta mode, the proper way to write a long vowel (transcribed into
        the Latin alphabet as a vowel with an acute accent) is either the usual
        tehta for that vowel over a long carrier, or the usual tehta repeated twice.
        (In the case of i in Sindarin, you probably don't want to repeat it twice,
        since that looks just like the tehta for y.)

        E-mail is annoying because I can't change fonts, but if you switch the
        following to a tengwar font, you should get the right thing: 72#{~B6

        In a full mode, you put an accent over the tengwa for the vowel: 7]2{`V7

        (2) Okay, first: a tengwa is a "letter". All modes use these for consonants.
        A tehta is a diacritic: a bar/tilde/three little dots/one dot/etc. written
        above or below a consonant. An omatehta is a tehta used to write a vowel.
        (Other tehtar can represent n, m or doubled letters.) The phrase "individual
        tehtar instead of omatehtar" doesn't mean anything. An omatehta is a kind of
        tehta. I'm going to guess that by "individual tehtar" you meant "tengwar".

        There are two ways of writing Sindarin with tengwar that we know of. (And
        probably a whole lot more that we don't.) One of them is called the "mode of
        Beleriand" and was used (presumably) in Beleriand and Eregion. Examples
        include the Doors of Durin that lead into Moria, and the Elbereth song in
        "The Road Goes Ever On." This mode uses tengwar for vowels. (It still uses
        tehtar for n, m, and indicating long vowels.)

        The other mode is used in Gondor in the late third/early fourth Ages. The
        example we have is a letter Aragorn wrote to Sam about ten years post-War of
        the Rings. (It's published in "Sauron Defeated" and "J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist
        and Illustrator".) It uses tehtar for vowels.

        -Ariel