Re: Please help me with my translation.

  • elfiness
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
      the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
      long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

      Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

      I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
      that looks like 'n').

      Nice font, where did you get it?
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
        > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
        wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
        alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
        protocol to this.

        Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

        I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

        - HKF
        Recent Activity
        a.. 2New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Sitebuilder
        Build a web site

        quickly & easily

        with Sitebuilder.

        Fitness Edge
        on Yahoo! Groups

        Learn how to

        increase endurance.

        Cat Groups
        on Yahoo! Groups

        discuss everything

        related to cats.
        .

      • paradocs111
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
          Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
          advice.

          Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
          find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
          thought behind it.

          Thank you,

          Kind regards,

          P.