Re: Please help me with my translation. PHOTO UPLOADED

  • paradocs111
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      Hi All,

      There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
      proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
      found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
      only file in that folder.

      I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
      english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
      Quenya "form".

      Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
      and I really need it to be correct.

      Thanks and kind regards,

      P.
    • elfiness
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
        the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
        long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

        Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

        I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
        that looks like 'n').

        Nice font, where did you get it?
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
          > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
          wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
          alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
          protocol to this.

          Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

          I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

          - HKF
          Recent Activity
          a.. 2New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Sitebuilder
          Build a web site

          quickly & easily

          with Sitebuilder.

          Fitness Edge
          on Yahoo! Groups

          Learn how to

          increase endurance.

          Cat Groups
          on Yahoo! Groups

          discuss everything

          related to cats.
          .

        • paradocs111
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
            Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
            advice.

            Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
            find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
            thought behind it.

            Thank you,

            Kind regards,

            P.