Re: Please help me with my translation.

  • paradocs111
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
      do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
      else's, perusal before finalisation.

      Back soon!
    • paradocs111
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        Hi All,

        There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
        proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
        found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
        only file in that folder.

        I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
        english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
        Quenya "form".

        Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
        and I really need it to be correct.

        Thanks and kind regards,

        P.
      • elfiness
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
          the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
          long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

          Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

          I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
          that looks like 'n').

          Nice font, where did you get it?
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
            > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
            wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
            alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
            protocol to this.

            Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

            I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

            - HKF
            Recent Activity
            a.. 2New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Sitebuilder
            Build a web site

            quickly & easily

            with Sitebuilder.

            Fitness Edge
            on Yahoo! Groups

            Learn how to

            increase endurance.

            Cat Groups
            on Yahoo! Groups

            discuss everything

            related to cats.
            .

          • paradocs111
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
              Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
              advice.

              Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
              find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
              thought behind it.

              Thank you,

              Kind regards,

              P.