Re: Please help me with my translation.

  • paradocs111
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      Sorry,

      I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
      preceding consonant.
    • Lakis Lalakis
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        Yes, Quenya mode means more than the order of the vowels and the
        consonants. The modes differ mostly in the letter values.

        For example, the letter ND in Quenya, is the letter for D in Sindarin;
        ND is written in another way in Sindarin mode. Also, Quenya NT is used
        for DH in Sindarin

        Writing Quenya in another mode, is like writing English with
        Italian-value letters. Workable but not proper :)

        paradocs111 wrote:
        > Sorry,
        >
        > I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
        > preceding consonant.

      • paradocs111
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
          do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
          else's, perusal before finalisation.

          Back soon!
        • paradocs111
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
            Hi All,

            There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
            proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
            found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
            only file in that folder.

            I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
            english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
            Quenya "form".

            Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
            and I really need it to be correct.

            Thanks and kind regards,

            P.
          • elfiness
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
              I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
              the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
              long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

              Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

              I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
              that looks like 'n').

              Nice font, where did you get it?
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
                wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
                alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
                protocol to this.

                Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

                I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

                - HKF
                Recent Activity
                a.. 2New Members
                Visit Your Group
                Sitebuilder
                Build a web site

                quickly & easily

                with Sitebuilder.

                Fitness Edge
                on Yahoo! Groups

                Learn how to

                increase endurance.

                Cat Groups
                on Yahoo! Groups

                discuss everything

                related to cats.
                .

              • paradocs111
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                  Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
                  advice.

                  Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
                  find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
                  thought behind it.

                  Thank you,

                  Kind regards,

                  P.