Re: [elfscript] Re: Please help me with my translation.

  • Lakis Lalakis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      What do you mean Quenya style? You mean the mode, or the font?

      The font doesn't matter; what matters is the mode. Quenya words and
      phrases must be written in Quenya mode.

      paradocs111 wrote:
      > Hi Lakis,
      >
      > Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
      > er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
      > phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.
      >
      > Kind regards.

    • paradocs111
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        Sorry,

        I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
        preceding consonant.
      • Lakis Lalakis
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          Yes, Quenya mode means more than the order of the vowels and the
          consonants. The modes differ mostly in the letter values.

          For example, the letter ND in Quenya, is the letter for D in Sindarin;
          ND is written in another way in Sindarin mode. Also, Quenya NT is used
          for DH in Sindarin

          Writing Quenya in another mode, is like writing English with
          Italian-value letters. Workable but not proper :)

          paradocs111 wrote:
          > Sorry,
          >
          > I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
          > preceding consonant.

        • paradocs111
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
            OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
            do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
            else's, perusal before finalisation.

            Back soon!
          • paradocs111
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
              Hi All,

              There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
              proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
              found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
              only file in that folder.

              I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
              english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
              Quenya "form".

              Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
              and I really need it to be correct.

              Thanks and kind regards,

              P.
            • elfiness
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
                the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
                long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

                Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

                I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
                that looks like 'n').

                Nice font, where did you get it?
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                  > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
                  wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
                  alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
                  protocol to this.

                  Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

                  I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

                  - HKF
                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 2New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Sitebuilder
                  Build a web site

                  quickly & easily

                  with Sitebuilder.

                  Fitness Edge
                  on Yahoo! Groups

                  Learn how to

                  increase endurance.

                  Cat Groups
                  on Yahoo! Groups

                  discuss everything

                  related to cats.
                  .

                • paradocs111
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                    Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
                    advice.

                    Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
                    find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
                    thought behind it.

                    Thank you,

                    Kind regards,

                    P.