Re: Please help me with my translation.

  • paradocs111
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      Hi Lakis,

      Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
      er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
      phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.

      Kind regards.
    • Lakis Lalakis
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        What do you mean Quenya style? You mean the mode, or the font?

        The font doesn't matter; what matters is the mode. Quenya words and
        phrases must be written in Quenya mode.

        paradocs111 wrote:
        > Hi Lakis,
        >
        > Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
        > er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
        > phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.
        >
        > Kind regards.

      • paradocs111
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          Sorry,

          I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
          preceding consonant.
        • Lakis Lalakis
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
            Yes, Quenya mode means more than the order of the vowels and the
            consonants. The modes differ mostly in the letter values.

            For example, the letter ND in Quenya, is the letter for D in Sindarin;
            ND is written in another way in Sindarin mode. Also, Quenya NT is used
            for DH in Sindarin

            Writing Quenya in another mode, is like writing English with
            Italian-value letters. Workable but not proper :)

            paradocs111 wrote:
            > Sorry,
            >
            > I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
            > preceding consonant.

          • paradocs111
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
              OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
              do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
              else's, perusal before finalisation.

              Back soon!
            • paradocs111
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                Hi All,

                There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
                proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
                found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
                only file in that folder.

                I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
                english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
                Quenya "form".

                Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
                and I really need it to be correct.

                Thanks and kind regards,

                P.
              • elfiness
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                  I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
                  the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
                  long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

                  Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

                  I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
                  that looks like 'n').

                  Nice font, where did you get it?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                    > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
                    wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
                    alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
                    protocol to this.

                    Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

                    I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

                    - HKF
                    Recent Activity
                    a.. 2New Members
                    Visit Your Group
                    Sitebuilder
                    Build a web site

                    quickly & easily

                    with Sitebuilder.

                    Fitness Edge
                    on Yahoo! Groups

                    Learn how to

                    increase endurance.

                    Cat Groups
                    on Yahoo! Groups

                    discuss everything

                    related to cats.
                    .

                  • paradocs111
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                      Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
                      advice.

                      Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
                      find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
                      thought behind it.

                      Thank you,

                      Kind regards,

                      P.