Re: [elfscript] Please help me with my translation.

  • Lakis Lalakis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      For starters, I'd propose to translate 'There is no' as _Ume_ which
      means 'is not'. Perhaps it could be used to denote existence as well.
      _Tas na la_ means 'this is not', but there is nothing here to show,
      therefore you don't need _tas_ 'this'.

      For more about the grammatical stuff, I propose you visit Elfling

      But anyway, to what script do you want it transcribed?
      > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
      > wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
      > alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
      > protocol to this.
    • paradocs111
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        Hi Lakis,

        Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
        er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
        phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.

        Kind regards.
      • Lakis Lalakis
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          What do you mean Quenya style? You mean the mode, or the font?

          The font doesn't matter; what matters is the mode. Quenya words and
          phrases must be written in Quenya mode.

          paradocs111 wrote:
          > Hi Lakis,
          >
          > Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
          > er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
          > phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.
          >
          > Kind regards.

        • paradocs111
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
            Sorry,

            I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
            preceding consonant.
          • Lakis Lalakis
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
              Yes, Quenya mode means more than the order of the vowels and the
              consonants. The modes differ mostly in the letter values.

              For example, the letter ND in Quenya, is the letter for D in Sindarin;
              ND is written in another way in Sindarin mode. Also, Quenya NT is used
              for DH in Sindarin

              Writing Quenya in another mode, is like writing English with
              Italian-value letters. Workable but not proper :)

              paradocs111 wrote:
              > Sorry,
              >
              > I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
              > preceding consonant.

            • paradocs111
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
                do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
                else's, perusal before finalisation.

                Back soon!
              • paradocs111
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                  Hi All,

                  There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
                  proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
                  found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
                  only file in that folder.

                  I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
                  english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
                  Quenya "form".

                  Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
                  and I really need it to be correct.

                  Thanks and kind regards,

                  P.
                • elfiness
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                    I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
                    the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
                    long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

                    Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

                    I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
                    that looks like 'n').

                    Nice font, where did you get it?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                      > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
                      wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
                      alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
                      protocol to this.

                      Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

                      I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

                      - HKF
                      Recent Activity
                      a.. 2New Members
                      Visit Your Group
                      Sitebuilder
                      Build a web site

                      quickly & easily

                      with Sitebuilder.

                      Fitness Edge
                      on Yahoo! Groups

                      Learn how to

                      increase endurance.

                      Cat Groups
                      on Yahoo! Groups

                      discuss everything

                      related to cats.
                      .

                    • paradocs111
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                        Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
                        advice.

                        Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
                        find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
                        thought behind it.

                        Thank you,

                        Kind regards,

                        P.