Please help me with my translation.

  • paradocs111
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
      Hi,

      Like many people (probably the majority of people) that post on this
      site I'm actually here to ask for help from the few people who have
      been dedicated enough to spend the time actually learning the
      language.

      I would like to translate a phrase and, in an attempt to show some
      sort of effort myself, have read an abridged version of how the
      writing system works and looked up an online lexicon of elvish words,
      but I'm aware that by merely exchanging one word for another my
      syntax is probably very poor.

      As the sentiment behind this phrase is very important to me I would
      like to achieve as much grammatical accuracy as possible so, my
      learned friends, please help!

      I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
      wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
      alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
      protocol to this.

      Your help improving the accuracy of my translation would be very much
      appreciated, as once I have the correct words and grammar I intend to
      transcribe it into a suitable script and have it engraved in stone.

      I hope you can find the time to help me,

      Regards.
    • Lakis Lalakis
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
        For starters, I'd propose to translate 'There is no' as _Ume_ which
        means 'is not'. Perhaps it could be used to denote existence as well.
        _Tas na la_ means 'this is not', but there is nothing here to show,
        therefore you don't need _tas_ 'this'.

        For more about the grammatical stuff, I propose you visit Elfling

        But anyway, to what script do you want it transcribed?
        > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
        > wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
        > alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
        > protocol to this.
      • paradocs111
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
          Hi Lakis,

          Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
          er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
          phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.

          Kind regards.
        • Lakis Lalakis
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
            What do you mean Quenya style? You mean the mode, or the font?

            The font doesn't matter; what matters is the mode. Quenya words and
            phrases must be written in Quenya mode.

            paradocs111 wrote:
            > Hi Lakis,
            >
            > Thanks very much for the speed of your response, So you think Ume alma
            > er melme is better? I have used "Tengscribe" to get an idea of how the
            > phrase would look in the various styles and I prefer Quenya.
            >
            > Kind regards.

          • paradocs111
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
              Sorry,

              I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
              preceding consonant.
            • Lakis Lalakis
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                Yes, Quenya mode means more than the order of the vowels and the
                consonants. The modes differ mostly in the letter values.

                For example, the letter ND in Quenya, is the letter for D in Sindarin;
                ND is written in another way in Sindarin mode. Also, Quenya NT is used
                for DH in Sindarin

                Writing Quenya in another mode, is like writing English with
                Italian-value letters. Workable but not proper :)

                paradocs111 wrote:
                > Sorry,
                >
                > I mean in Quenya mode, which I believe means with the vowels above the
                > preceding consonant.

              • paradocs111
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                  OK, thanks very much for your help. I obviously have some more work to
                  do. I'll post a picture of the transcribed phrase for your, and anyone
                  else's, perusal before finalisation.

                  Back soon!
                • paradocs111
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                    Hi All,

                    There is now a photo of what I believe to be the correct script for the
                    proposed engraving that I previously posted about. The photo can be
                    found in "Files" - "Paradocs" in this group, and it's presently the
                    only file in that folder.

                    I would really appreciate your input, I have included both the words in
                    english, written using the Tengwar letters, and the Quenya words in the
                    Quenya "form".

                    Please let me know what you think, as I said,this is for an engraving
                    and I really need it to be correct.

                    Thanks and kind regards,

                    P.
                  • elfiness
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 28, 2007
                      I can't judge the English translation; as for Quenya, I am not sure if
                      the _u_ in _ume_ is short or long. There is some possibility that it's
                      long, and therefore needs a longer initial carrier.

                      Again, for the grammar corrections, check the Elfling list

                      I also would write _er_ with the other R-letter (named Ore, the one
                      that looks like 'n').

                      Nice font, where did you get it?
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                        > I would like to find the most accurate way to write "There is no
                        wealth but love". By swapping the words I came up with "Tas na la
                        alma er melme" but obviously have not applied any sort of grammatical
                        protocol to this.

                        Remember what the words really mean here. "But" is really the equivalent of "except", for instance. "There" in the phrase "there is" is just part of an English idiom indicating that something exists, and should not be translated by an adverb meaning "there = in that place".

                        I think I'd suggest: _Lá ea alma hequa melme_, literally "not exists wealth except love". Variations in word-order and the exact mode of negation are possible.

                        - HKF
                        Recent Activity
                        a.. 2New Members
                        Visit Your Group
                        Sitebuilder
                        Build a web site

                        quickly & easily

                        with Sitebuilder.

                        Fitness Edge
                        on Yahoo! Groups

                        Learn how to

                        increase endurance.

                        Cat Groups
                        on Yahoo! Groups

                        discuss everything

                        related to cats.
                        .

                      • paradocs111
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 29, 2007
                          Thank you very much for taking the time to review my post, and for your
                          advice.

                          Having read your comments on many other posts I was hoping you would
                          find time to look at mine as your input always seems to have the most
                          thought behind it.

                          Thank you,

                          Kind regards,

                          P.