Elvish word for sister...

  • moeminski88
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello! So glad to be a part of the coolest group ever!! So here's the
      deal: I promised my little sister, who is also a major LOTR fan, that
      I would get her a tattoo for her birthday. We decided that we want to
      get the elvish word for 'sister,''Desh'iriai,' but all I can find is
      to translate the english word for sister into elvish script and not
      the actual elvish word. Can anyone help me with this? I've been
      trying to do it myself, but I am just no good, especially not tattoo
      worthy. Help! I owe my sis a tattoo! I just need a picture of the
      word "Desh'iriai" written in any form of elvish. Any help is
      appreciated! Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
        > We decided that we want to get the elvish word for 'sister,''Desh'iriai,'

        Well, for one thing, this word does NOT come from any form of Tolkienian Elvish. You can still use it, if you like it, but Tolkien's Elves never used this word for "sister". Indeed it doesn't even fit the phonology of any of the major Elven-tongues he sketched.

        One late source gives the High-elven word for "sister" as _nésa_ (archaic _nétha_) and the Grey-elven word as _neth_ or _nîth_. In Tolkien's earlier material, the High-elven word was _seler_ (the archaic form would be_theler_) and the "Noldorin" word was _gwathel_. We know how to write these words in "Elvish" Tengwar letters, but it is not quite as obvious how we should write the de facto foreign word "desh'iriai".

        . HKF