Re: [elfscript] Translation Help Request!

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
      > I am looking for some help to get this translated into Sindarin and
      then written in Tengwar.

      > `But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.'

      Our knowledge of Sindarin still isn't quite sufficient to make a good translation of this. With many uncertainties, and some words extrapolated from Quenya (here asterisked):

      "*Dan benn guin uin! Cenig vess. Éowyn Éomundiel im. *Teridh im nin ah i chîr nín ah i noss nín. Ego, *pi uidh alfirin! *An cuin egor *úlaer vorn, blebithon le, *pi *aphodh hon."

      I feel at least a little more confident about this Quenya version, which only uses directly attested vocabulary:

      "Mal uan coirëa nér. Yétal nís. Éowyn Éomundiel nanyë. Taril imbi ní ar herunya ar nossenya. Heca, qui ual ilfirin! An coirëa hya morna úlairë, petuvanyel, qui appalyes."

      - HKF

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2007
        > "*Dan benn guin uin! Cenig vess.

        I must correct myself: _tiridh_ is better than _cenig_ for "you look at". (_Tiro nin_ is translated "look towards me" in one of Tolkien's texts.) Also, I otherwise used _-dh_ rather than _-g_ for "you"; the latter is supposedly an intimate form which Éowyn would never use facing a Nazgûl.

        But I have elsewhere given my reasons for believing that _-dh_ may not have been Tolkien's final decision as regards the ending for singular formal "you", so though this ending occurs in one pronoun table recently published, multiple uncertainties remain.

        Would you be willing to go for the Quenya version instead?

        - HKF

      • panda_rider
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2007
          Thank you very much for the help!

          Perhaps Quenya would be a better way of going about it instead.

          Thanks!
          Paul