Re: [elfscript] YOUR MY LAST HOPE

  • Henry Quinn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
      Simon

      I have put together this image for you.
      Can anyone skilled in the writing of Tengwar Please check it.
      The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis, the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.
      Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling mistake in his tatoo.

      I humbly take my leave.

      Henry
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2002
        Henry Quinn wrote:

        > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis,
        > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

        Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
        tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
        second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
        expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
        Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
        recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
        very good :)

        When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
        "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
        vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

        For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
        the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

        kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

        It looks like this:

        http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/images/tengwar_zacharyand.gif

        > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling
        > mistake in his tatoo.

        Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
        well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
        people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
        do it yourself, I'm afraid.

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • Henry Quinn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2002
          Harri

          > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and
          Travis,
          > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

          Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
          tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
          second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
          expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
          Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
          recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
          very good :)

          I used the extended because as far as I know it represents a Uppercase of the letter.
          I used the symbol for the ' i ' sound in Travis where as the last vowel in Zachary,
          the ' y ' is pronounced as an ' e ', also I used a long carrier for the ' y ' because
          some examples I've seen uses such when the word ends on such a vowel.
          The symbol for ' r ' that I used I must say is mistaken, the one I used is for an 'r' that
          is followed by a consonant, and the one resembling a 'y' is for an 'r' followed by a vowel.
          The ' s ' at the end, I looked at some examples I had of text and did not see them use that one, but
          they did use the one I did. So I do not know when they use the other.

          Here follows the corrected key strokes.

          kzE7E~ $2PO !7rE8%

          and the image

          When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
          "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
          vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

          For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
          the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

             kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

          It looks like this:

          > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a
          spelling
          > mistake in his tatoo.

          Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
          well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
          people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
          do it yourself, I'm afraid.

          --
          Harri Perälä         perala@...        http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

        • Abrigon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2002
            Uppercase in Tengwar? Uppercase, called Majescule(sp), namely all the
            letters are the same height, and non decended about or below the
            others. While lower case, called miniscule, many extend below or above
            the others..

            ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

            versus

            abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

            Just into doing calligraphy.. Many of the examples I have seen of
            Tengwar, where you want to show a larger, or upper case letter, you
            just make it larger. since most of the letters of the Tengwar are
            minuscule in form, but I expect you could make a majescule form.

            It was not uncommon to have an older letter form as the Capital
            letters, versus the normal letters. Example was to use Roman Capitals
            as your upper case, while using later Uncial (inch high mostly
            majescule) letters as lower case.. Later what we call Italic (or was
            it another form) and like came about cause someone who saw the
            scripts/letters of the Caroligian Empire, and thought they were
            ancient roman.

            More later if anyone cares..

            Mike
          • charlie_x9
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              Hello.

              This must be getting annoying for you guys, having to answer
              questions about tattoos and stuff. Well I want to get one as well.I
              have decided on the Word. I want literal spelling in Quenya, also
              Quenya mode and cursive style.Where can I find a sort of dictionary
              online that has some words in elvish and all of its diiferent
              divisions? If not can someone please help me?

              Thank you all for you attention.

              CR.

              --- In elfscript@y..., Brook Conner <me@n...> wrote:
              > <moderator-mode>
              > I've kept my mouth shut on this (frantic) thread, but I'll just
              suggest
              > to readers that at least making a try before posting a question to
              the
              > list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much problem here
              with
              > students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to see that
              someone
              > has made an effort....
              > </moderator-mode>
              >
              > On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:31 am, Simon Holt wrote:
              >
              > > Now Im very very confused,What I need is some solid information
              as Im
              > > getting the tatoo on Thursday but you all seem to be giving me
              > > different interpretations.
              >
              > That's because there *are* several different interpretations of
              what
              > you've asked for. "I want X in Elvish" is vague. "Elvish" includes
              > different languages and different lettering systems. And you're
              asking
              > for the "Elvish" for English names. As a result, you're getting a
              bunch
              > of different answers, most of which are mostly correct.
              >
              > Now, I've got something in "Elvish" tattooed on my arm (and it
              happens
              > to be about my daughter) so I can understand how important it is to
              you
              > to get it right :-) But that means you need to make some decisions:
              >
              > 1. What spelling you want to use for the names - Literal or
              phonetic?

              > 2. For any other words, what language you want to use - English?
              > Quenya? Sindarin?
              >
              > 3. What "mode" you want to use when writing out the Tengwar (the
              > letters). Quenya (vowel signs go over preceeding consonant)?
              Sindarin
              > (vowel signs over following consonant)? Beleriand (full characters
              for
              > vowels)? English (a modified Beleriand)?
              >
              > 4. Finally, you know what all the letters are. Then choose a font.
              You
              > clearly want the "cursive" style used on the One Ring. This might
              be
              > something the tattoo artist can help with - bring in the letters
              you've
              > chosen (handwritten if necessary), and a copy of the Ring
              Inscription.
              > Explain you want a tattoo with *these* letters in *that* style.
              Work

            • laurifindil <ejk@free.fr>
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2002
                Beware, Internet will only confuse you.

                In order to understand the ConLanguages of Professor Tolkien, you have
                no other choice but to carefully read and study what J.R.R. Tolkien
                actually wrote.

                For his scripts, you have, first of all, "The Lord of the Rings"
                Appendix E, which has quite enough info for what you want to do.

                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "charlie_x9" <charlie_x9@y...>

              • squizz slade
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
                  hi charlie,
                  squizz here. dont know if it will help but i found a
                  site for my tattoo, may have to do a search for it
                  called learnelvish, the girl tina sent me back the
                  quenya lettering and meaning for the tatoo on my arm,
                  dont know if it will help but give it a try, if you
                  have no luck let me know and i will try to find the
                  exact address again.

                  squizz

                  http://www.yahoo.promo.com.au/hint/ - Yahoo! Hint Dropper
                  - Avoid getting hideous gifts this Christmas with Yahoo! Hint Dropper!