Zachary and Travis [was Re: [elfscript] YOUR MY LAST HOPE]

  • Brook Conner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29 5:59 PM
      <moderator-mode>
      I've kept my mouth shut on this (frantic) thread, but I'll just suggest
      to readers that at least making a try before posting a question to the
      list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much problem here with
      students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to see that someone
      has made an effort....
      </moderator-mode>

      On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:31 am, Simon Holt wrote:

      > Now Im very very confused,What I need is some solid information as Im
      > getting the tatoo on Thursday but you all seem to be giving me
      > different interpretations.

      That's because there *are* several different interpretations of what
      you've asked for. "I want X in Elvish" is vague. "Elvish" includes
      different languages and different lettering systems. And you're asking
      for the "Elvish" for English names. As a result, you're getting a bunch
      of different answers, most of which are mostly correct.

      Now, I've got something in "Elvish" tattooed on my arm (and it happens
      to be about my daughter) so I can understand how important it is to you
      to get it right :-) But that means you need to make some decisions:

      1. What spelling you want to use for the names - Literal or phonetic?

      2. For any other words, what language you want to use - English?
      Quenya? Sindarin?

      3. What "mode" you want to use when writing out the Tengwar (the
      letters). Quenya (vowel signs go over preceeding consonant)? Sindarin
      (vowel signs over following consonant)? Beleriand (full characters for
      vowels)? English (a modified Beleriand)?

      4. Finally, you know what all the letters are. Then choose a font. You
      clearly want the "cursive" style used on the One Ring. This might be
      something the tattoo artist can help with - bring in the letters you've
      chosen (handwritten if necessary), and a copy of the Ring Inscription.
      Explain you want a tattoo with *these* letters in *that* style. Work
      with the artist til you get something you like.

      As an example, for my inscription, I decided as follows:

      1. Phonetic spelling - my daughter's name is spelled "Zooey", pronounced
      like the two-syllable "Zoe". I considered using a translation of the
      Greek "Zoe", but decided against it for several reasons - one of which
      was that it didn't scan so well :-)

      2. The entire inscription is written in Quenya.

      3. That led easily enough to using the standard Quenya mode.

      4. I chose one of Dan Salo's fonts, typed it up, printed it, and showed
      it to the artist. He worked it into the rest of the composition.

      > Can anyone truely say this is what you want.Ive descided to leave out
      > the numbers so I can now have it in Tengwar Cursive.Please,Please
      > help.Thanks

      Well, if you answer the questions, it will be easier for some of the
      experts here to produce something meaningful to you and meaningful to
      the few people out there that read Elvish.

      Or you can look at all the different answers and say "I like *that* one"
      and use it. It's your tattoo - if it is meaningful to you, does anything
      else really matter?

      Brook

      Oh, and my inscription:

      Zowiyenen Anar lisse
      sila indonna yenyannar

      Because of Zooey, the sweet Sun
      shines on my soul and on my lifetime (lit. on my spiritual heart and on
      my long-years (base-12 centuries, i.e., 144 years)).
    • Henry Quinn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29 11:01 PM
        Simon

        I have put together this image for you.
        Can anyone skilled in the writing of Tengwar Please check it.
        The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis, the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.
        Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling mistake in his tatoo.

        I humbly take my leave.

        Henry
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30 2:20 AM
          Henry Quinn wrote:

          > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis,
          > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

          Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
          tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
          second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
          expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
          Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
          recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
          very good :)

          When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
          "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
          vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

          For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
          the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

          kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

          It looks like this:

          http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/images/tengwar_zacharyand.gif

          > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling
          > mistake in his tatoo.

          Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
          well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
          people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
          do it yourself, I'm afraid.

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
        • Henry Quinn
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30 3:52 AM
            Harri

            > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and
            Travis,
            > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

            Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
            tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
            second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
            expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
            Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
            recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
            very good :)

            I used the extended because as far as I know it represents a Uppercase of the letter.
            I used the symbol for the ' i ' sound in Travis where as the last vowel in Zachary,
            the ' y ' is pronounced as an ' e ', also I used a long carrier for the ' y ' because
            some examples I've seen uses such when the word ends on such a vowel.
            The symbol for ' r ' that I used I must say is mistaken, the one I used is for an 'r' that
            is followed by a consonant, and the one resembling a 'y' is for an 'r' followed by a vowel.
            The ' s ' at the end, I looked at some examples I had of text and did not see them use that one, but
            they did use the one I did. So I do not know when they use the other.

            Here follows the corrected key strokes.

            kzE7E~ $2PO !7rE8%

            and the image

            When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
            "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
            vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

            For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
            the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

               kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

            It looks like this:

            > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a
            spelling
            > mistake in his tatoo.

            Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
            well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
            people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
            do it yourself, I'm afraid.

            --
            Harri Perälä         perala@...        http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

          • Abrigon
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31 7:08 PM
              Uppercase in Tengwar? Uppercase, called Majescule(sp), namely all the
              letters are the same height, and non decended about or below the
              others. While lower case, called miniscule, many extend below or above
              the others..

              ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

              versus

              abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

              Just into doing calligraphy.. Many of the examples I have seen of
              Tengwar, where you want to show a larger, or upper case letter, you
              just make it larger. since most of the letters of the Tengwar are
              minuscule in form, but I expect you could make a majescule form.

              It was not uncommon to have an older letter form as the Capital
              letters, versus the normal letters. Example was to use Roman Capitals
              as your upper case, while using later Uncial (inch high mostly
              majescule) letters as lower case.. Later what we call Italic (or was
              it another form) and like came about cause someone who saw the
              scripts/letters of the Caroligian Empire, and thought they were
              ancient roman.

              More later if anyone cares..

              Mike
            • charlie_x9
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                Hello.

                This must be getting annoying for you guys, having to answer
                questions about tattoos and stuff. Well I want to get one as well.I
                have decided on the Word. I want literal spelling in Quenya, also
                Quenya mode and cursive style.Where can I find a sort of dictionary
                online that has some words in elvish and all of its diiferent
                divisions? If not can someone please help me?

                Thank you all for you attention.

                CR.

              • laurifindil <ejk@free.fr>
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2002
                  Beware, Internet will only confuse you.

                  In order to understand the ConLanguages of Professor Tolkien, you have
                  no other choice but to carefully read and study what J.R.R. Tolkien
                  actually wrote.

                  For his scripts, you have, first of all, "The Lord of the Rings"
                  Appendix E, which has quite enough info for what you want to do.

                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "charlie_x9" <charlie_x9@y...>

                • squizz slade
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
                    hi charlie,
                    squizz here. dont know if it will help but i found a
                    site for my tattoo, may have to do a search for it
                    called learnelvish, the girl tina sent me back the
                    quenya lettering and meaning for the tatoo on my arm,
                    dont know if it will help but give it a try, if you
                    have no luck let me know and i will try to find the
                    exact address again.

                    squizz

                    http://www.yahoo.promo.com.au/hint/ - Yahoo! Hint Dropper
                    - Avoid getting hideous gifts this Christmas with Yahoo! Hint Dropper!