YOUR MY LAST HOPE

  • Simon Holt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
      Now Im very very confused,What I need is some solid information as Im getting the tatoo on Thursday but you all seem to be giving me different interpretations.Can anyone truely say this is what you want.Ive descided to leave out the numbers so I can now have it in Tengwar Cursive.Please,Please help.Thanks

                        Zachary  and  Travis
    • Henry Quinn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
        Ok I'll translate it for you on Wednesday into Tengwar Cursive, then post it here so people can help if I made any mistakes.
        Sorry to have confused you.

        I humbly take my leave and run after my lift to get home.

        Henry
        Now Im very very confused,What I need is some solid information as Im getting the tatoo on Thursday but you all seem to be giving me different interpretations.Can anyone truely say this is what you want.Ive descided to leave out the numbers so I can now have it in Tengwar Cursive.Please,Please help.Thanks

                          Zachary  and  Travis

      • Robin Bruce
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
          The only thing I can say is you are going to have to read the Tengwar language system.  Their letters are not the same as ours.  An "a" or "b" on the keyboard is not where you are going to find their "a" or "b".  It is rather confusing and the vowels get real complex.  Have you downloaded the fonts and studied the Tengwar page?

          Aewen

          []

        • Brook Conner
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
            <moderator-mode>
            I've kept my mouth shut on this (frantic) thread, but I'll just suggest
            to readers that at least making a try before posting a question to the
            list is a good idea.... We obviously don't have much problem here with
            students asking for homework answers, but it's nice to see that someone
            has made an effort....
            </moderator-mode>

            On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 10:31 am, Simon Holt wrote:

            > Now Im very very confused,What I need is some solid information as Im
            > getting the tatoo on Thursday but you all seem to be giving me
            > different interpretations.

            That's because there *are* several different interpretations of what
            you've asked for. "I want X in Elvish" is vague. "Elvish" includes
            different languages and different lettering systems. And you're asking
            for the "Elvish" for English names. As a result, you're getting a bunch
            of different answers, most of which are mostly correct.

            Now, I've got something in "Elvish" tattooed on my arm (and it happens
            to be about my daughter) so I can understand how important it is to you
            to get it right :-) But that means you need to make some decisions:

            1. What spelling you want to use for the names - Literal or phonetic?

            2. For any other words, what language you want to use - English?
            Quenya? Sindarin?

            3. What "mode" you want to use when writing out the Tengwar (the
            letters). Quenya (vowel signs go over preceeding consonant)? Sindarin
            (vowel signs over following consonant)? Beleriand (full characters for
            vowels)? English (a modified Beleriand)?

            4. Finally, you know what all the letters are. Then choose a font. You
            clearly want the "cursive" style used on the One Ring. This might be
            something the tattoo artist can help with - bring in the letters you've
            chosen (handwritten if necessary), and a copy of the Ring Inscription.
            Explain you want a tattoo with *these* letters in *that* style. Work
            with the artist til you get something you like.

            As an example, for my inscription, I decided as follows:

            1. Phonetic spelling - my daughter's name is spelled "Zooey", pronounced
            like the two-syllable "Zoe". I considered using a translation of the
            Greek "Zoe", but decided against it for several reasons - one of which
            was that it didn't scan so well :-)

            2. The entire inscription is written in Quenya.

            3. That led easily enough to using the standard Quenya mode.

            4. I chose one of Dan Salo's fonts, typed it up, printed it, and showed
            it to the artist. He worked it into the rest of the composition.

            > Can anyone truely say this is what you want.Ive descided to leave out
            > the numbers so I can now have it in Tengwar Cursive.Please,Please
            > help.Thanks

            Well, if you answer the questions, it will be easier for some of the
            experts here to produce something meaningful to you and meaningful to
            the few people out there that read Elvish.

            Or you can look at all the different answers and say "I like *that* one"
            and use it. It's your tattoo - if it is meaningful to you, does anything
            else really matter?

            Brook

            Oh, and my inscription:

            Zowiyenen Anar lisse
            sila indonna yenyannar

            Because of Zooey, the sweet Sun
            shines on my soul and on my lifetime (lit. on my spiritual heart and on
            my long-years (base-12 centuries, i.e., 144 years)).
          • Henry Quinn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
              Simon

              I have put together this image for you.
              Can anyone skilled in the writing of Tengwar Please check it.
              The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis, the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.
              Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling mistake in his tatoo.

              I humbly take my leave.

              Henry
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2002
                Henry Quinn wrote:

                > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and Travis,
                > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

                Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
                tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
                second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
                expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
                Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
                recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
                very good :)

                When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
                "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
                vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

                For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
                the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

                kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

                It looks like this:

                http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/images/tengwar_zacharyand.gif

                > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a spelling
                > mistake in his tatoo.

                Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
                well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
                people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
                do it yourself, I'm afraid.

                --
                Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
              • Henry Quinn
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2002
                  Harri

                  > The Translation is Zachary and Travis, pronounced Zakary and
                  Travis,
                  > the and was taken out of the inscription in the book.

                  Why are you using an "extended" letter for /t/ instead of the usual
                  tinco? Also, I am not sure what sound value the single dot (used for the
                  second vowel in "Travis") is supposed to have here. I would have
                  expected the vowel to be more or less the same as the final vowel in
                  Zachary (which you have written with the accent) - but as I have
                  recently demonstrated, my understanding of English pronunciation is not
                  very good :)

                  I used the extended because as far as I know it represents a Uppercase of the letter.
                  I used the symbol for the ' i ' sound in Travis where as the last vowel in Zachary,
                  the ' y ' is pronounced as an ' e ', also I used a long carrier for the ' y ' because
                  some examples I've seen uses such when the word ends on such a vowel.
                  The symbol for ' r ' that I used I must say is mistaken, the one I used is for an 'r' that
                  is followed by a consonant, and the one resembling a 'y' is for an 'r' followed by a vowel.
                  The ' s ' at the end, I looked at some examples I had of text and did not see them use that one, but
                  they did use the one I did. So I do not know when they use the other.

                  Here follows the corrected key strokes.

                  kzE7E~ $2PO !7rE8%

                  and the image

                  When writing English, I would personally prefer to stick with the mostly
                  "orthographic" vowels seen in the title page inscription. Of course
                  vowels can be written phonemically, but it quickly gets problematic.

                  For what it's worth, here is my own suggestion (which tries to follow
                  the title page mode), with the "and" added and without the numbers:

                     kzE7E`Û 2P( 17rDiT

                  It looks like this:

                  > Someone please check it. I don't want to be responsable for a
                  spelling
                  > mistake in his tatoo.

                  Me neither, but I think Brook Conner has explained the situation very
                  well. There is no single correct answer, and mistakes do happen when
                  people have a limited amount of free time. The only way to be sure is to
                  do it yourself, I'm afraid.

                  --
                  Harri Perälä         perala@...        http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/

                • Abrigon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2002
                    Uppercase in Tengwar? Uppercase, called Majescule(sp), namely all the
                    letters are the same height, and non decended about or below the
                    others. While lower case, called miniscule, many extend below or above
                    the others..

                    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

                    versus

                    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

                    Just into doing calligraphy.. Many of the examples I have seen of
                    Tengwar, where you want to show a larger, or upper case letter, you
                    just make it larger. since most of the letters of the Tengwar are
                    minuscule in form, but I expect you could make a majescule form.

                    It was not uncommon to have an older letter form as the Capital
                    letters, versus the normal letters. Example was to use Roman Capitals
                    as your upper case, while using later Uncial (inch high mostly
                    majescule) letters as lower case.. Later what we call Italic (or was
                    it another form) and like came about cause someone who saw the
                    scripts/letters of the Caroligian Empire, and thought they were
                    ancient roman.

                    More later if anyone cares..

                    Mike
                  • charlie_x9
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                      Hello.

                      This must be getting annoying for you guys, having to answer
                      questions about tattoos and stuff. Well I want to get one as well.I
                      have decided on the Word. I want literal spelling in Quenya, also
                      Quenya mode and cursive style.Where can I find a sort of dictionary
                      online that has some words in elvish and all of its diiferent
                      divisions? If not can someone please help me?

                      Thank you all for you attention.

                      CR.

                    • laurifindil <ejk@free.fr>
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2002
                        Beware, Internet will only confuse you.

                        In order to understand the ConLanguages of Professor Tolkien, you have
                        no other choice but to carefully read and study what J.R.R. Tolkien
                        actually wrote.

                        For his scripts, you have, first of all, "The Lord of the Rings"
                        Appendix E, which has quite enough info for what you want to do.

                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "charlie_x9" <charlie_x9@y...>

                      • squizz slade
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
                          hi charlie,
                          squizz here. dont know if it will help but i found a
                          site for my tattoo, may have to do a search for it
                          called learnelvish, the girl tina sent me back the
                          quenya lettering and meaning for the tatoo on my arm,
                          dont know if it will help but give it a try, if you
                          have no luck let me know and i will try to find the
                          exact address again.

                          squizz

                          http://www.yahoo.promo.com.au/hint/ - Yahoo! Hint Dropper
                          - Avoid getting hideous gifts this Christmas with Yahoo! Hint Dropper!