Question

  • Simon Holt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
      Although I really want it in Cursive (like on the ring)
      could you give me your analasis of this in Sindarin.
      What gets me is how your supposed to know how to use a font when Zachary 94 Travis 01 is typed in as

      k9C7E`U ôu 17rDiG nd

      Where does this come from ?

                                                    Your Stupidly

                                                          Simon

    • Henry Quinn
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
        Simon

        I constructed these images for you, not using cursive, sorry.
        But let me know what you think.
        Also anyone who sees a mistake let me know.

        Zachery 94
        Travis 01

        I humbly take my leave

        Henry

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
          "Henry Quinn" <henry@m...> wrote:
          > Simon
          >
          > I constructed these images for you, not using cursive, sorry.
          > But let me know what you think.
          > Also anyone who sees a mistake let me know.
          >

          > Zachery 94
          >
          > Travis 01
          >
          > I humbly take my leave
          >
          > Henry

          Using Daniel Smiths Chart for English constants: I would use the over
          chevron for the final 'y' in Zachary and ninety. (But maybe the chart
          is refering to a different orthographic(?) 'y'.

          Carey
        • Henry Quinn
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2002
            The reason why I used those are, I work with sounds as this is how I
            understood it should work.
            And the last 'y' is pronouced as an 'e', it might be incorrect but that is
            the way I understood it.

            I humbly take my leave

            Henry

            > > I constructed these images for you, not using cursive, sorry.
            > > But let me know what you think.
            > > Also anyone who sees a mistake let me know.
            > >

            > > Zachery 94
            > >
            > > Travis 01
            > >
            > > I humbly take my leave
            > >
            > > Henry
            >
            > Using Daniel Smiths Chart for English constants: I would use the over
            > chevron for the final 'y' in Zachary and ninety. (But maybe the chart
            > is refering to a different orthographic(?) 'y'.
            >
            > Carey

          • assassincat
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
              Hi all,

              I have, perhaps foolishly, agreed to help a friend find an elvish
              translation for a tattoo. (Yes, another one - at this rate there
              will be more elvish inscriptions on bodies than in books.) At any
              rate, she wants 'eternity', which an online dictionary tells me
              translates as 'uir' in Sindarin. So my question is this: if I am
              transcribing 'uir' using Sindarin Tehtar mode, should the final 'r'
              be represented by óre or rómen?

              many thanks,

              alex
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2002

                teithant assassincat

                > I have, perhaps foolishly, agreed to help a friend find an elvish

                translation for a tattoo. (Yes, another one - at this rate there
                will be more elvish inscriptions on bodies than in books.) At any
                rate, she wants 'eternity', which an online dictionary tells me
                translates as 'uir' in Sindarin. So my question is this: if I am
                transcribing 'uir' using Sindarin Tehtar mode, should the final 'r'
                be represented by σre or rσmen?

                * why note Quenya oiale? its longer and more beautiful

              • DDanielA@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2002
                  In the attested Sindarin tehta mode, 'uir' is written as 'anna' with the
                  'u' curl above it followed by 'óre'. As for Quenya 'oiale' ... yes,
                  it's longer. but size isn't important in ALL matters. More beautiful?
                  That's matter of opinion. Remember, there are those of us who actually
                  prefer Sindarin; we're not going to change our preference just because
                  there are more Quenya enthusiasts out there. I have no desire to be
                  tattooed, but if I did, I would choose to have it done in the language I
                  prefer!

                  Cuio mae. Danny.
                • assassincat
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                    --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:

                    > * why note Quenya oiale? its longer and more beautiful

                    Actually, I simply hadn't come across the Quenya translation yet...
                    but thank you, I'll be happy to give her all the available options.
                    Now, given that I am very new at this - how would I transcribe that
                    exactly? Do I count 'oi' as a dipthong and would then 'a' be on a
                    short carrier followed by lambe with the acute accent for 'e'?
                    (Quenya has the tehtar above the preceeding consonant, yes?)
                    Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to be as correct as
                    possible.

                    alex
                  • assassincat
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                      --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
                      > In the attested Sindarin tehta mode, 'uir' is written as 'anna'
                      with the
                      > 'u' curl above it followed by 'óre'.

                      Thank you very much for the clarification! It's very good of you all
                      to act as foils and editors for we stumbling newbies, lost amidst
                      the modal variants... <G>

                      alex
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002

                        teithant assassincat

                        > Actually, I simply hadn't come across the Quenya translation yet...

                        but thank you, I'll be happy to give her all the available options.

                        * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo miiri oiale")

                        >Now, given that I am very new at this - how would I transcribe that

                        exactly? Do I count 'oi' as a dipthong and would then 'a' be on a
                        short carrier followed by lambe with the acute accent for 'e'?
                        (Quenya has the tehtar above the preceeding consonant, yes?)

                        * you cant be more correct :)

                      • assassincat
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                          --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
                          > * if you have read lotr and Namaarie, you have :) ("...Calaciryo
                          miiri oiale")

                          Ah, of course! How foolish, knew I should've had that eidetic memory
                          installed... ;)

                          > * you cant be more correct :)

                          Why thank you! And watch me grin goofily in excitement over my
                          little achievement...

                          Thanks again!
                          alex
                        • blurr992001
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14, 2004
                            My dog which I had for over 16 years just died on Sunday and I want
                            to get a tattoo with her name in Elvish.
                            I guess I am not the first one to ask a question like this, but how
                            can I have people check if I wrote the name correctly.
                            Her name is/was "Laska" and I have a JPG of my transcription. Is
                            there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
                            correctly?

                            Thanks!

                            tobi
                          • Harri Perälä
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 15, 2004
                              blurr992001 wrote:
                              > Is
                              > there any way to post it, so that people could tell me I wrote it
                              > correctly?

                              Yes, you can use the files section on the group home page for that.

                              Harri Perälä
                            • blurr992001
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 15, 2004
                                Thanks Harri!
                                I just posted the file. It's "Laska.jpg"
                                Could anyone tell me if this is correct?
                                Thanks guys!

                                tobi
                              • machhezan
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 16, 2004
                                  Hi Tobi

                                  All correct! You've chosen a general use mode with the tehtar on the
                                  preceding letters, which is perfectly adequate.

                                  There's a slight danger that one could misread it as 'alsak', since in
                                  the general use, the tehtar are often placed on the following sign.
                                  That danger might be erased by placing the tehtar of 'Laska' on the
                                  following sign, too, which would give 'lambe, silme nuquerna +
                                  a-tehta, quesse, short carrier + a-tehta'. However, your own
                                  transcription is esthetically much better, so I'd stick to your own
                                  suggestion.

                                  Another danger of misreading is that one could think it'd be written
                                  in the classical Quenya mode, where it would read 'lasqua'. Again,
                                  that danger could be erased by choosing the above cited transcription,
                                  but again, I'd stick to your own transcription, since it's more beautiful.

                                • Andromeda
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 26, 2011
                                    When did this stop being about Tolkiens languages and a haven for Indian HNGs?