Re:Roadmap to Trading

  • elimloth
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:
      > Isn't there a listowner, moderator who can throw
      > the spammer out of the group, or does he keep
      > resubscribing under different IDs?

      The only effective way to keep spammers out is if the group auto-
      moderates new members. Then, after a time, the moderator can change a
      member's posting status to unmoderated. Nellardo runs this group
      completely unmoderated, hence the spam. About the best one can do to
      minimize the impact of this spam is to turn off receiving email from
      the group and just access it by WEB.

      Elimloth
    • Harm J. Schelhaas
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
        Op Mon Feb 5, 2007 2:13 am ((PST)) schreef "elimloth" draco@...:

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Isn't there a listowner, moderator who can throw
        >> the spammer out of the group, or does he keep resubscribing under different IDs?
        >
        > The only effective way to keep spammers out is if the group auto-
        > moderates new members. Then, after a time, the moderator can change a member's
        > posting status to unmoderated. Nellardo runs this group completely unmoderated,
        > hence the spam. About the best one can do to minimize the impact of this spam is to
        > turn off receiving email from the group and just access it by WEB.
        >
        > Elimloth

        I couldn't say it any better. I would advise to auto-moderate. At the present it is
        unsafe to operate any e-mail group, message board, forum or the like where people
        can immediately post after registration without being vetted. That, or impose a
        registration process that is designed to keep out automatic registrations, if
        possible. Without either, you're bound to be swamped by spam in a short while. It'll
        only get worse exponentially, if you do nothing.

        Herdir Perhael ne Mithrennaith
        (Harm J. Schelhaas)
      • Jaster
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
          I couldn't agree more....

          ...It also helps to spam filter your email as an extra layer of
          annoyance removal ...
          This email was initially filtered as spam itself...

          Jaster