Re:Roadmap to Trading

  • Brad Howells
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Is anyone else totally annoyed by how our Elfscript group is getting
      bombarded with this junk?? Has anyone already started a different group
      with the same subject? I mean, I don't contribute to the conversations
      a lot, but I enjoy reading them. This other stuff about how a moron got
      his mortgage down and his BA in a month by calling an 801 number (which
      is calling Utah, by the way), it's really frustrating!

      Brad Howells
      Vanguard Charter Academy
      Wyoming, MI
      (616) 538-3630

      K-4 General Music ~ 5-8 Band
      NWEA MAP Secondary Test Proctor

    • Melroch 'Aestan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Brad Howells skrev:
        > Is anyone else totally annoyed by how our Elfscript group is getting
        > bombarded with this junk?? Has anyone already started a different group
        > with the same subject?

        Hardly.

        > This other stuff about how a moron got
        > his mortgage down and his BA in a month by calling an 801 number (which
        > is calling Utah, by the way), it's really frustrating!

        That's so-called spam, aka unsolicited email advertisments,
        generaly considered a Bad Thing and a nuisance.

        Isn't there a listowner, moderator who can throw
        the spammer out of the group, or does he keep
        resubscribing under different IDs?

        --

        /BP 8^)>
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \

        "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody
        is altogether on my side" -- Fangorn
      • elimloth
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:
          > Isn't there a listowner, moderator who can throw
          > the spammer out of the group, or does he keep
          > resubscribing under different IDs?

          The only effective way to keep spammers out is if the group auto-
          moderates new members. Then, after a time, the moderator can change a
          member's posting status to unmoderated. Nellardo runs this group
          completely unmoderated, hence the spam. About the best one can do to
          minimize the impact of this spam is to turn off receiving email from
          the group and just access it by WEB.

          Elimloth
        • Harm J. Schelhaas
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
            Op Mon Feb 5, 2007 2:13 am ((PST)) schreef "elimloth" draco@...:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Isn't there a listowner, moderator who can throw
            >> the spammer out of the group, or does he keep resubscribing under different IDs?
            >
            > The only effective way to keep spammers out is if the group auto-
            > moderates new members. Then, after a time, the moderator can change a member's
            > posting status to unmoderated. Nellardo runs this group completely unmoderated,
            > hence the spam. About the best one can do to minimize the impact of this spam is to
            > turn off receiving email from the group and just access it by WEB.
            >
            > Elimloth

            I couldn't say it any better. I would advise to auto-moderate. At the present it is
            unsafe to operate any e-mail group, message board, forum or the like where people
            can immediately post after registration without being vetted. That, or impose a
            registration process that is designed to keep out automatic registrations, if
            possible. Without either, you're bound to be swamped by spam in a short while. It'll
            only get worse exponentially, if you do nothing.

            Herdir Perhael ne Mithrennaith
            (Harm J. Schelhaas)
          • Jaster
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
              I couldn't agree more....

              ...It also helps to spam filter your email as an extra layer of
              annoyance removal ...
              This email was initially filtered as spam itself...

              Jaster