Re: Quick question about which mode of writing to use . . .

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2007
      Nikki wrote:

      > Does this sound right to people, or should i write Nikki in the
      > Quenya mode with the tehtar on the preceeding consonant?

      It's more common to write English with the tehtar on the following
      consonant. However, in this particular case, I think you could write
      it either way without problems. J. R. R. Tolkien has used both
      tengwar-tehtar orders for English. The advantage of placing the tehtar
      on the preceding consonants, is that both consonants will carry a tehta.

      But what is more important and should always be considered when
      pondering which tengwar-tehtar order to use for writing a name, is
      that neither way of writing it will cause misreadings. When placing
      the tehtar on the following consonants, then there's absolutely no
      risk of misreading because of the required short carrier -- and when
      placing the tehtar on the preceding consonants, then you could
      theoretically misread the name as Inikk/Inick (iNick?), but I'd say
      it's pretty obvious that this is certainly not it, but Nikki.

      And make sure you're using the letter quesse for k, not calma.

      grĂ¼ess
      mach