Quick question about which mode of writing to use . . .

  • littlehobbitfriend
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2007
      Hello, I'm a newbie. Have a little experience of elvish but not as
      much as u guys!

      This is a quick simple question that will probably make me sound
      stupid, but I'm a little confused from all the information out there!

      My name is Nikki and i've written it in the tengwar using the English
      mode with the tehtar following the consonant. I've done this because
      as far as I know its an English name and theres no equivalent in
      Quenya, unless u use Nicola and Nicole, but it wouldnt be the same.

      Does this sound right to people, or should i write Nikki in the
      Quenya mode with the tehtar on the preceeding consonant? Or should I
      only use this when I have a correct Quenya version of my name?

      Hope that makes sense to people, would be wonderful if you could
      help! I know either way people will understand, I would just like to
      clarify!

      Thanks :-)

      Nikki
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2007
        Nikki wrote:

        > Does this sound right to people, or should i write Nikki in the
        > Quenya mode with the tehtar on the preceeding consonant?

        It's more common to write English with the tehtar on the following
        consonant. However, in this particular case, I think you could write
        it either way without problems. J. R. R. Tolkien has used both
        tengwar-tehtar orders for English. The advantage of placing the tehtar
        on the preceding consonants, is that both consonants will carry a tehta.

        But what is more important and should always be considered when
        pondering which tengwar-tehtar order to use for writing a name, is
        that neither way of writing it will cause misreadings. When placing
        the tehtar on the following consonants, then there's absolutely no
        risk of misreading because of the required short carrier -- and when
        placing the tehtar on the preceding consonants, then you could
        theoretically misread the name as Inikk/Inick (iNick?), but I'd say
        it's pretty obvious that this is certainly not it, but Nikki.

        And make sure you're using the letter quesse for k, not calma.

        grĂ¼ess
        mach