Re: Getting a Tattoo in Elvish

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:

      > j_mach_wust skrev:
      > > I'd prefer a representation of Latin shaped after
      > > Tolkien's own Latin tengwar text (DTS 41), that is to say,
      > > a 'general use' mode with the tehtar placed on the
      > > preceding letters and with Latin vowel length opposition
      > > not represented.
      >
      > IMHO the mode choosen would depend on what **kind** of Latin
      > one wants to represent, and indeed how one would want it to
      > be read out. For Classical Latin I would prefer a mode
      > closely modelled on the 'standard' Quenya mode, as the two
      > languages have similar phonologies. If Medieval or even New
      > Latin is concerned, one may indeed want to reflect a
      > different pronunciation -- even one of the 'national'
      > pronunciations. As for DTS 41 it should be noted that these
      > are botanical terms, and an English speaker would read those
      > out in the English pronunciation, even if s/he used the
      > restored pronunciation when reading Latin text.

      I was not referring to the botanical terms in DTS 41 which are
      represented in their English pronunciation anyway, but to the Latin
      phrase. And I don't see any need to invent a new unattested mode based
      on the classical Quenya mode when it is no problem to represent Latin
      according to the 'general use' of the tengwar; â€" and more than that:
      It's not only no problem, but also attested. Certainly, the phrase
      from DTS 41 is not classical pronunciation of Latin, but the classical
      pronunciation can easily be represented in the same mode.

      The decision whether to write according to the 'general use' or
      whether to invent a new mode based on classical Quenya, only concerns
      the very first letter of the phrase which would be spelled with an
      additional modified left curl according to the 'general use'.

      > Swedish, where [...] practically any vowel can occur finally

      Doesn't Swedish have checked vowels, that is, vowels that can only
      occur in closed syllables? Or is it because of these that you've
      written "practically"? I'm curious because I boldly presumed all
      Germanic languages had checked vowels.

      grüess
      mach