DTS 32 & 35

  • Matthew Dinse
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      First of all, on the matter of DTS 32. The cirth in the background I
      can plainly read to start (backwards) from the top right "Uzbad
      Khazad-d..." so it seems to me that is just a circumstance from the
      drawing of the inscription on Balin's tomb having been somehow rubbed
      onto it (if possible). However, what I'm here to inquire about is the
      tengwar under the star. It too seems to me to be backwards, and I read
      something like (left to right, 'backwards') a short carrier with
      either the slash or a curl to the left, then rómen with a curl open to
      the right, then hyarmen, then ñoldo, and then lambë. It then (to me)
      seems to somehow switch from being backwards to the 'right' way, then
      reading tinco, vilya with the three-dot A-tehta, quessë (or calma)
      with the single dot on top, and then (another word) further out
      another calma or quessë. Has anyone been able to read this more
      accurately?

      Additionally, there's DTS 35. I can read it (seemingly in a sort of
      'full mode') as "Ash nazg durbatulûk ... ash nazg [....]atul ... ash
      nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi...", with it ending at "-ishi". U
      seems to be úre and A seems to be anna w/ the three dots superfixed,
      but I can't read the tengwar that make up [gimb] in gimbatul,
      (assuming that in 1954 when these drawings were made the Latin
      alphabet rendering of the Ring verse was the same and it IS
      gimbatul...), as it appears to be hastily scrawled. At any rate I am
      better at reading Tolkien's small, cramped, hasty Latin-alphabet
      phrases than his tengwar ones... is anyone able to read what those
      three or four symbols might be?

      - M. Dinse