Re: €  ÈÝìá: [elfscript] Found the word translation and tengwar!

  • Jessyka
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
      Sorry. I pasted the html tag and the picture showed on the email, but I'll paste the url here instead.

      Beauty -- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/beautyinelvish.png

      Courage -- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/courageinelvish.png

      Strength -- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/strengthinelvish.png

      Almatari -- http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/almatarintengwar.png

    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
        A bit wrong. The words are Quenya but you didn't
        notice (or forgot) to use that option (Quenya mode) in
        the transcriber program. Instead it converted them as
        if they were English words, which is... not right.

        Check for the option 'mode' and choose 'Quenya', it
        will get them right

        --- Jessyka <almatari_ailin@...> έγραψε:

        > Sorry. I pasted the html tag and the picture showed
        > on the email, but I'll paste the url here instead.
        >
        > Beauty --

        http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/beautyinelvish.png

        > Courage --

        http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/courageinelvish.png

        > Strength --

        http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/strengthinelvish.png

        > Almatari --

        http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/jlmoeser/almatarintengwar.png

        > removed]

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • WIL
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
          At 9/28/2006 Thursday 11:05 PM, you wrote:
          >Check for the option 'mode' and choose 'Quenya', it
          >will get them right

          I'm pretty new here, joined a couple days ago and have a question.

          In each of your opinions, which is the best Elven
          (Tengwar/Quenya/Sindarin) transcriber software and why?

          I want to learn how to write/read and then speak this beautiful
          language and would like to start off with something which is pretty
          accurate and easy to use and learn.

          Can any of you help me out? point me in the right direction/download?

          Thanks so much

          WIL (Thias)
        • j_mach_wust
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Palatinus <elfiness@...> wrote:

            > A bit wrong. The words are Quenya but you didn't
            > notice (or forgot) to use that option (Quenya mode) in
            > the transcriber program. Instead it converted them as
            > if they were English words, which is... not right.

            Arguably, a transcription according to the general use instead of the
            classical Quenya orthography may be what a man from Gondor might have
            chosen. We can't say it's wrong, since there are many instances where
            J. R. R. Tolkien transcribed Quenya like this (see
            http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_modes.htm#general ), we can only
            presume that it's not the classically Elven mode.

          • j_mach_wust
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, WIL <wil@...> wrote:

              > At 9/28/2006 Thursday 11:05 PM, you wrote:
              > >Check for the option 'mode' and choose 'Quenya', it
              > >will get them right
              >
              > I'm pretty new here, joined a couple days ago and have a question.
              >
              > In each of your opinions, which is the best Elven
              > (Tengwar/Quenya/Sindarin) transcriber software and why?

              There are pretty good tengwar transcribers if you want to transcribe
              Sindarin or Quenya phrases:

              http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/english.php
              http://at.mansbjorkman.net/tengscribe.htm (don't know it, but I assume
              it has the same high quality as Måns Björkman's entire site)

              However, it's good to have read at least the appendices of The Lord of
              the Rings so you can check the results the transcribers give you. I
              wouldn't recommend you to use these tools to transcribe phrases from
              other languages than Quenya and Sindarin, for instance from English,
              since such transcriptions are always quite buggy. So you'd really have
              to learn some of the tengwar script in order to use it to transcribe,
              for instance, English. Apart from the indispensable appendices, MÃ¥ns
              Björkman's site Amanye Tenceli is a good starting point:

              http://at.mansbjorkman.net/

              As for Quenya and Sindarin, these are not scripts, but languages (so
              this list is not the appropiate place for their discussion but the
              elfling list). I don't know much about them, only that they don't have
              any finished or stable forms, but are rather sequences of evolving
              sketches. I severely doubt that there are any useful translation tools
              into these languages, since even the tools that translate between well
              known and stable modern languages give rather poor results, check out
              for instance a translation from German to English:

              http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprachen_und_Schriften_aus_Mittelerde

              I guess good starting points for the languages Sindarin and Quenya may
              be the 'Elfling FAQ' and the 'Elvish Linguistics Unofficial FAQ':

              http://nellardo.com/lang/elf/faq.html
              http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/faq.htm

              ---
              grüess
              j. 'mach' wust
            • Måns Björkman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2006
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...> wrote:

                > Arguably, a transcription according to the general use instead of the
                > classical Quenya orthography may be what a man from Gondor might have
                > chosen. We can't say it's wrong, since there are many instances where
                > J. R. R. Tolkien transcribed Quenya like this (see
                > http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_modes.htm#general ), we can only
                > presume that it's not the classically Elven mode.

                Yes, Tolkien does state (in DTS 58) that the general use is applicable
                to Quenya. (Though the man of Gondor would probably not write _huore_
                "courage" as in Jessyka's image, with the final _e_ represented by an
                underdot. He would probably rather write it as an e-tehta on a short
                carrier.)

                Yours,
                Måns