"Dorks" Come Home to IU - South Bend, IN

  • DOTR Film
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2006
      South Bend, IN September 2006

      It's "One spoof to rule them all!"
      According to Peter Lyon who designed and created the
      hero swords for
      Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" film trilogy.

      The ambitious parody movie "The Dork of the Rings",
      which was produced
      in the Michiana area and is being heralded
      internationally, will be
      shown on the I.U.S.B. campus in Wiekamp Hall, Room
      1001 on Saturday,
      September 23 - 4:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.; Sunday,
      September 24 - 2:00
      p.m.; Friday, October 6 - 7:00 p.m.; Saturday, October
      7 - 4:00 p.m. &
      7:00 p.m.; Sunday, October 8 - 2:00 p.m. Admission is
      $5.00 at the
      door.

      The 100-minute film was produced in Indiana and
      Michigan over the last
      two and a half years by director Tim Richardson and
      his company
      Richardson Productions LLC in conjunction with Somehow
      Cinema.
      Richardson grew up in Granger, Indiana, is a current
      resident of
      Edwardsburg, Michigan and an I.U.S.B. alumnus. The
      screenings are
      sponsored by the I.U.S.B. Alumni Association. More
      information about
      the film can be found at www.dorkoftherings.com.

      The story revolves around a young Throbbit, Frudo
      Buggins, who must
      stop the insidious Dork-mart corporation from taking
      over Muddle-earth
      with its endless franchises. The only way to do this
      is to deliver the
      One Ring of Circular Credit to Bank Boom to close Lord
      Mauron's
      account and stop the evil empire from spreading.
      Pursued by
      Nosedrools and Sporks, Frudo is joined by his plump
      companion Ham,
      Randolf the Wizard, Gimpi the Dweeb, Legoblocks the
      Elfis, Arogant the
      Rangler, Princess Femowen and the annoying creature
      Scrottum.

      The film held its World Premiere and two other
      screenings this August
      at the enormous GenCon convention in Indianapolis to
      packed audiences
      and a few weeks later it graced the big screen at the
      IMAX in
      Indianapolis, which was organized by Woodworks films.
      "The film is
      huge in its scope," says filmmaker Gary Wood. "It's
      not your normal
      low-budget, independent movie. It's the perfect
      example of what you
      can accomplish if you don't limit your vision to what
      you think you
      can accomplish and, rather, just go about
      accomplishing your
      vision--and limitations be damned!"

      Over half the film was shot against a giant green
      screen sound stage
      Richardson's crew constructed themselves. The
      post-production art team
      consisted of around 30 artists including digital
      artists, matte
      painters, sculptors, graphic designers, illustrators,
      animators and
      costume designers.

      Michael Kouroubetes who co-wrote, produced, and acted
      in the film
      says, "It was kinda' like a bonsai tree: looks great,
      but it takes a
      lot of patience to grow. We owe so much to ever
      evolving consumer
      level technology. Without the advent of terrific
      software and faster
      PC's, this movie would've cost hundred's of thousands
      more to make."

      Art Coordinator Ian Strandberg created many of the
      digital backgrounds
      and offered input to the wide variety of artists
      working on the
      project. "The task of making FX for 'The Dork of the
      Rings' is not
      about fooling the audience. Most audiences are too
      sophisticated to
      be hornswoggled by the likes of us. Rather, I look at
      the dork FX
      first as a matter of entertainment and second as a
      matter of
      suggesting that no matter how crazy something seems,
      it can be sold as
      a stylistic choice and not an anomaly of artistic
      temperament."

      The scriptwriting process began in January 2004 and
      the 18 days of
      principle photography followed that summer and fall.
      During the long
      post-production process, which included not only the
      digital effects
      but also re-dubbing all the actors' voices and
      creating foley and
      sound effects, the cast and crew were also busy
      marketing the film.

      The Dorks first traveled to TolCon in Seattle in 2005
      where they
      previewed the film and also met Elijah Wood's scale
      and stunt double
      from the trilogy, Kiran Shah, who they were able to
      recruit to do a
      comical introduction for the movie where he claims he
      auditioned for
      "Dork" but was rejected as the lead actor's stunt
      double because he
      was "too tall." Shah has been in many films and was
      seen most recently
      as the White Queen's sleigh driver in "The Chronicles
      of Narnia."

      Since Tolcon, they've previewed behind the scenes
      footage and clips
      from the film at GenCon, Ring*Con in Germany,
      Dragon*Con in Atlanta,
      The Fellowship Festival in Toronto, ELF I & II in
      Orlando and New York
      and The One Ring Celebration in Pasadena just to name
      a few. At these
      conventions they've met with sword maker Peter Lyon
      and actors Sean
      Astin, John Rhys-Davies and Elijah Wood and talked up
      their dorky
      movie. Lyon gladly agreed to send copies of the movie
      directly to Weta
      Workshop head honcho Richard Taylor and hopefully
      director Peter
      Jackson himself.

      Speaking of directors, in order to assist with the
      promoting of "Dork"
      the film's "co-director" Jack Peterson (with his large
      girth, fuzzy
      beard and huge round glasses) has been making the
      rounds at these
      events interviewing stars such as Justin Long
      ("Accepted"), David
      Prowse ("Star Wars") and Doc Hammer ("Venture Bros.")
      for his online
      video reports. By shear brute force, he has pushed his
      way into
      semi-celebritydom, even appearing as a special guest
      on a Tolkien
      panel with Shah. " You simply can't miss me, " say
      Peterson. "Elijah
      Wood told me I was awesome, and at over 300 pounds,
      he's quite right."

      "The Dork of the Rings" was recently one of only three
      feature films
      to be selected for Dragon*Con in Atlanta, the
      country's largest
      Sci-fi/fantasy/horror/pop culture convention held over
      Labor Day
      weekend. The film's own Randolf the Wizard was a huge
      attraction at
      the event, garnering the actor numerous television and
      print
      interviews during his visit.

      Now that he's famous, actor David Kiefer who plays the
      doddering
      wizard Randolf says: "I can't even eat a ham sandwich
      without someone
      coming up to me." He's been a big hit at all the
      conventions and his
      costume won him and his Indianapolis-based designer
      Janice Bennett the
      Staff Choice Award at GenCon 2005 in the costume
      competition.

      Over 150 actors and crew came from all over to help on
      the film:
      Chicago, Peoria, Indianapolis, Louisville and all
      around South Bend.
      "Everyone was very excited about this project and I
      think they all had
      an awesome time on the set. It was cool to not have to
      worry about
      whether anyone was going to show up or not, as can be
      the case in
      making indie movies where folks work for free, but
      everyone was very
      dedicated so I feel very blessed," says Richardson.

      Their original soundtrack was created by veteran film
      composer Mark
      D'Errico from Colorado whose score definitely captures
      the "Rings"
      flavor. They also recruited The Great Luke Ski to do a
      theme song for
      the movie. Ski is a Wisconsin-based comedy song
      performer who has been
      Dr. Demento's most requested artist since 2000 and is
      best known for
      his hit song "Stealing Like a Hobbit," a parody of
      Eminem's "Cleanin'
      Out My Closet."

      Pre-orders for the DVD have been pouring in at
      studio-style pace. The
      Dorks plan to enter the film in festivals and screen
      it at as many
      conventions as possible worldwide and their first
      scheduled
      international engagement is in Germany this November.

      Just what Europe needs: More American Dorks.

      http://mail.yahoo.com