Re: hi Laerwen

  • Laerwen Celebrinel
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
      Yes, as someone else told you before, this fonts I told you about
      are only good looking fonts to be used for the latin alphabet we use.
      Now, Sindarin is a whole different language from English. You may
      spell Sindarin using the latin alphabet or Tengwar, which is just a
      way of writing the necessary sounds and not a language (I have heard
      people mistaking Tengwar fo Sindarin and the other way around).
      You can write any language using Tengwar, it's only the shpe of the
      letters that's different not the actual sounds.
      If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
      you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
      http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many Sindarin
      guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to start
      with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself.
      Actually speaking the language, it's more difficult than writing it
      especially if you are an english language native.
      (I myself am a latin language native and for me it's very easy to
      understand how to say words. so you'll have to excuse my English, I
      don't have time to check the dictionary for all the messages, which
      is not very respectful of me :))
      About writing using Tengwar it's not difficult (in my opinion). Hand
      drawn letters are very beautyful and you can find explanation on how
      to do it anywhere, there is a file loaded on this group if I
      remember correctly.
      I love Sindarin and try to use it as often as I can, so please use
      it right; it is a noble tongue!
      Laerwen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Laerwen Celebrinel" <allixme@...>
        wrote:
        > If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
        > you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
        > http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many
        > Sindarin guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to
        > start with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself. ...

        Well, I would not recommend to start with this article though it
        seems to be very enthusiastic. I rather recommend to start with the
        Tolkien's work itself - the books. There are articles published in
        Tolkien-concerned journals (Vinyar Tengwar or Parma Eldalamberon, for
        example) too. I would recommend you study Tolkien, not a Tolkienian
        student or scholar. Find your own conclusions, do not "just absorb"
        conclusions of other students or scholars.

        An enormous list of primary sources for your purpose can be found
        here:
        http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

        Good luck!
        Lucy aka Calwen Lacharnen
      • alexandra saftoiu
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
          Yes,
          Calwen is right. I assumed that you have already read the books and the other works and you just wanted some organized course. Also I assume that one has the ability to judge before embracing other's opinion.
          I should stop giving advices according to the way I understand learning :).
          Thanks for the help Calwen; I wouldn't like to induce someone in error especially when is comes to Sindarin.
          Laerwen