Re: hi Laerwen

  • Laerwen Celebrinel
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mysticque8" <mysticque8@...>
      wrote:

      > oops, i am sorry. not sure if you had asked me about what the
      fonts
      > i am using or not. think you might have though. i had asked
      about
      > how to type them here i think. anyway, i have been horrible busy
      with
      > these new fonts...:) have loaded: Aniron, Bilbo Hand ( bold and
      > fine ), Elven common speak ( this one is very difficult ),
      Fanjofey,
      > Hobbiton ( also in brushhand ), Moon and Dwarf Runes. Tengwar
      > Sandarin - 2, A and Tengwar Gandolf ( forget what the 2 and A
      stand
      > for ). i am used to writing in the Runic language as i have been
      > doing this for years now. my journals are mostly in Runic. Bilbo
      and
      > Hobbiton are a fun font to work with, but my new adventures are
      now in
      > the Sandarian ( did i spell that right? ). although the language
      is
      > difficult to learn and difficult to write at times, i find that it
      is
      > the challange i seek...i do love a great challange too...:) i
      also
      > looked up my name too. having so much fun here, and thank you so
      very
      > much for keeping us all going so strong....you're super...:) i am
      > still learning, so if i do make a goof, let me know ok...:)
      thanks
      > again
      > oh, i wanted to ask too....if persay i wanted to change my yahoo
      name
      > and thought to use the Elvish name i found for me, would this be
      > frowned on. i haven't yet, just a thought though. :)
      >
      > mysticque8

    • Laerwen Celebrinel
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
        Yes, as someone else told you before, this fonts I told you about
        are only good looking fonts to be used for the latin alphabet we use.
        Now, Sindarin is a whole different language from English. You may
        spell Sindarin using the latin alphabet or Tengwar, which is just a
        way of writing the necessary sounds and not a language (I have heard
        people mistaking Tengwar fo Sindarin and the other way around).
        You can write any language using Tengwar, it's only the shpe of the
        letters that's different not the actual sounds.
        If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
        you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
        http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many Sindarin
        guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to start
        with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself.
        Actually speaking the language, it's more difficult than writing it
        especially if you are an english language native.
        (I myself am a latin language native and for me it's very easy to
        understand how to say words. so you'll have to excuse my English, I
        don't have time to check the dictionary for all the messages, which
        is not very respectful of me :))
        About writing using Tengwar it's not difficult (in my opinion). Hand
        drawn letters are very beautyful and you can find explanation on how
        to do it anywhere, there is a file loaded on this group if I
        remember correctly.
        I love Sindarin and try to use it as often as I can, so please use
        it right; it is a noble tongue!
        Laerwen
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Laerwen Celebrinel" <allixme@...>
          wrote:
          > If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
          > you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
          > http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many
          > Sindarin guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to
          > start with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself. ...

          Well, I would not recommend to start with this article though it
          seems to be very enthusiastic. I rather recommend to start with the
          Tolkien's work itself - the books. There are articles published in
          Tolkien-concerned journals (Vinyar Tengwar or Parma Eldalamberon, for
          example) too. I would recommend you study Tolkien, not a Tolkienian
          student or scholar. Find your own conclusions, do not "just absorb"
          conclusions of other students or scholars.

          An enormous list of primary sources for your purpose can be found
          here:
          http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

          Good luck!
          Lucy aka Calwen Lacharnen
        • alexandra saftoiu
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
            Yes,
            Calwen is right. I assumed that you have already read the books and the other works and you just wanted some organized course. Also I assume that one has the ability to judge before embracing other's opinion.
            I should stop giving advices according to the way I understand learning :).
            Thanks for the help Calwen; I wouldn't like to induce someone in error especially when is comes to Sindarin.
            Laerwen