hi Laerwen

  • mysticque8
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
      oops, i am sorry. not sure if you had asked me about what the fonts
      i am using or not. think you might have though. i had asked about
      how to type them here i think. anyway, i have been horrible busy with
      these new fonts...:) have loaded: Aniron, Bilbo Hand ( bold and
      fine ), Elven common speak ( this one is very difficult ), Fanjofey,
      Hobbiton ( also in brushhand ), Moon and Dwarf Runes. Tengwar
      Sandarin - 2, A and Tengwar Gandolf ( forget what the 2 and A stand
      for ). i am used to writing in the Runic language as i have been
      doing this for years now. my journals are mostly in Runic. Bilbo and
      Hobbiton are a fun font to work with, but my new adventures are now in
      the Sandarian ( did i spell that right? ). although the language is
      difficult to learn and difficult to write at times, i find that it is
      the challange i seek...i do love a great challange too...:) i also
      looked up my name too. having so much fun here, and thank you so very
      much for keeping us all going so strong....you're super...:) i am
      still learning, so if i do make a goof, let me know ok...:) thanks
      again
      oh, i wanted to ask too....if persay i wanted to change my yahoo name
      and thought to use the Elvish name i found for me, would this be
      frowned on. i haven't yet, just a thought though. :)

      mysticque8
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
        > these new fonts...:) have loaded: Aniron, Bilbo
        > Hand ( bold and
        > fine ), Elven common speak ( this one is very
        > difficult ), Fanjofey,
        > Hobbiton ( also in brushhand ), Moon and Dwarf
        > Runes. Tengwar
        > Sandarin - 2, A and Tengwar Gandolf ( forget what
        > the 2 and A stand

        Hm.. many of them are not Elvish. They are just
        beautiful and cool appearances of normal Latin letters
        to make your texts beautiful. We are concerned in the
        Elvish writing :)

        > for ). i am used to writing in the Runic language

        There is no such thing as 'Runic Language'

        > the Sandarian ( did i spell that right? ).

        Sindarin

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      • Laerwen Celebrinel
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "mysticque8" <mysticque8@...>
          wrote:

          > oops, i am sorry. not sure if you had asked me about what the
          fonts
          > i am using or not. think you might have though. i had asked
          about
          > how to type them here i think. anyway, i have been horrible busy
          with
          > these new fonts...:) have loaded: Aniron, Bilbo Hand ( bold and
          > fine ), Elven common speak ( this one is very difficult ),
          Fanjofey,
          > Hobbiton ( also in brushhand ), Moon and Dwarf Runes. Tengwar
          > Sandarin - 2, A and Tengwar Gandolf ( forget what the 2 and A
          stand
          > for ). i am used to writing in the Runic language as i have been
          > doing this for years now. my journals are mostly in Runic. Bilbo
          and
          > Hobbiton are a fun font to work with, but my new adventures are
          now in
          > the Sandarian ( did i spell that right? ). although the language
          is
          > difficult to learn and difficult to write at times, i find that it
          is
          > the challange i seek...i do love a great challange too...:) i
          also
          > looked up my name too. having so much fun here, and thank you so
          very
          > much for keeping us all going so strong....you're super...:) i am
          > still learning, so if i do make a goof, let me know ok...:)
          thanks
          > again
          > oh, i wanted to ask too....if persay i wanted to change my yahoo
          name
          > and thought to use the Elvish name i found for me, would this be
          > frowned on. i haven't yet, just a thought though. :)
          >
          > mysticque8

        • Laerwen Celebrinel
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2006
            Yes, as someone else told you before, this fonts I told you about
            are only good looking fonts to be used for the latin alphabet we use.
            Now, Sindarin is a whole different language from English. You may
            spell Sindarin using the latin alphabet or Tengwar, which is just a
            way of writing the necessary sounds and not a language (I have heard
            people mistaking Tengwar fo Sindarin and the other way around).
            You can write any language using Tengwar, it's only the shpe of the
            letters that's different not the actual sounds.
            If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
            you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
            http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many Sindarin
            guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to start
            with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself.
            Actually speaking the language, it's more difficult than writing it
            especially if you are an english language native.
            (I myself am a latin language native and for me it's very easy to
            understand how to say words. so you'll have to excuse my English, I
            don't have time to check the dictionary for all the messages, which
            is not very respectful of me :))
            About writing using Tengwar it's not difficult (in my opinion). Hand
            drawn letters are very beautyful and you can find explanation on how
            to do it anywhere, there is a file loaded on this group if I
            remember correctly.
            I love Sindarin and try to use it as often as I can, so please use
            it right; it is a noble tongue!
            Laerwen
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Laerwen Celebrinel" <allixme@...>
              wrote:
              > If you are really interested in learning Sindarin I recomend
              > you 'Sindarin, the Noble Tongue', you can find it here
              > http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/sindarin.htm. There are many
              > Sindarin guides and references on the Internet, but I advise you to
              > start with this one, and of course whith Tolkien's work itself. ...

              Well, I would not recommend to start with this article though it
              seems to be very enthusiastic. I rather recommend to start with the
              Tolkien's work itself - the books. There are articles published in
              Tolkien-concerned journals (Vinyar Tengwar or Parma Eldalamberon, for
              example) too. I would recommend you study Tolkien, not a Tolkienian
              student or scholar. Find your own conclusions, do not "just absorb"
              conclusions of other students or scholars.

              An enormous list of primary sources for your purpose can be found
              here:
              http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

              Good luck!
              Lucy aka Calwen Lacharnen
            • alexandra saftoiu
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 24, 2006
                Yes,
                Calwen is right. I assumed that you have already read the books and the other works and you just wanted some organized course. Also I assume that one has the ability to judge before embracing other's opinion.
                I should stop giving advices according to the way I understand learning :).
                Thanks for the help Calwen; I wouldn't like to induce someone in error especially when is comes to Sindarin.
                Laerwen