Re: Fonts?

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "bty51658752" <rhcplover@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I need a little help with fonts. I got a few questions to ask about
      > them. They're totally freaking my brain out. I'm finding it hard to
      > get my head around.

      I'd recommend you to read the help files that accompany the tengwar
      fonts, for example the tngandoc.pdf that comes with the Tengwar
      Annatar font. They'll answer your questions.

      > 1. Do these fonts actually make sense if you were to type something
      > in quenyan or sindarin into them? I mean... does the font recognise
      > groups of letters and translate them into the correct tengwar
      > symbols?

      No, most use Dan Smith's totally different character encoding which is
      projected over the Windows-1252 characters. Note that a one-to-one
      correpsondence between corresponding Latin letters and tengwar cannot
      be achieved due to the different design of either script.

      > 2. What are these codes that people are posting on here and how do
      > you use them?

      Things like that: "3b%_ jzTO 41E"? That's chunks of the Windows-1252
      correspondences to Dan Smith's tengwar encoding. In order to see what
      it's supposed to look like in tengwar, you have to copy it to a word
      processor, select it and change the font into almost any tengwar font
      you like (you must have them properly installed first).

    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2006
        > 1. Do these fonts actually make sense if you were to
        > type something
        > in quenyan or sindarin into them? I mean... does the
        > font recognise
        > groups of letters and translate them into the
        > correct tengwar
        > symbols?

        Nope, you have to learn the typesetting on your
        keyboard which is largely different from the one we
        are using, The tengwar letters are put in their own
        alphabetic order on your keyboard. Read the
        documentation for more.

        > 2. What are these codes that people are posting on
        > here and how do
        > you use them?

        the actual tengwar texts. They appear like correct
        tengwar if you see them in tengwar fonts (that means,
        copy them to Word and apply the font on them). Read
        the documentation for more.

        > 3. Anything else I need to know to help me
        > understand fonts?

        Read the documentation

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;