test. Please don't reply to this message

  • Palatinus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2006

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 2:34 PM
        Allyson wrote:

        >I have read through a few years worth of posts trying to find the best
        translation into Quenya for this phrase and have found differing
        answers. The phrase in question is "All that is gold does not glitter, not
        all those who wander are lost."

        > Lá ilye i maltaiva nar mirilyar, lá ilye i ranyar vanwe nar

        This means, literally, "not all that of-gold are glitter, not all that
        stray lost are." But I don't think _vanwë_, sg. _vanwa_, is a happy
        translation of "lost" in this context. _Vanwa_ is "lost" in the sense of
        "gone, no longer to be had". In this sentence, "lost" refers to people who
        have lost their way, not people who are gone, or have vanished.

        _Ilye_ can be used for "all" before a noun, as in _ilye tier_ "all paths"
        in Namárie, but it is far from certain that it can function independently
        like this. We have _illi_ as a word for "all" when used as a noun.

        _Lá mirilya ilqua ya ná malta, lá ranyar illi i vantar_ could mean
        "everything that is gold does not glitter, all that walk do not stray". I
        think this captures the actual meaning better. Here is the relevant Tengwar
        code:

        j~C t%7Tj´E `BjzE hÍE 5~C t#j1E = j~C 7E5Ì#6 `Bj¸T `B yE4#6

        > The 2nd phrase that I wanted to translate and then transcribe is
        "wherever the path may lead." I believe I may have it correct or close with
        "Aimenna tier tulya" but I'm not sure.

        _Aimenna_ for "wherever" is an extrapolated form, though not the worst I've
        seen. I think I'd go for _ainomenna_ myself if I were to derive a word
        based on the same underlying assumptions. "...the path may lead" is
        probably best translated as _i tie tulyuva_ based on our current knowledge.
        If you don't want to use neologisms, you could say simply "to the place the
        path shall lead", _i nómenna i tie tulyuva_.

        - HKF
      • Allyson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 11:15 PM
          Thank you so much. It took me a few days to get that much and every
          time I would think I was close, I would find new information that
          made me think I was 90% incorrect. I was so confused. I will
          definitely made use of your suggestion. Thanks again!