Two phrases- not sure if translated and transcribed correctly

  • Allyson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30 12:23 AM
      I have read through a few years worth of posts trying to find the
      best translation into Quenya for this phrase and have found differing
      answers. The phrase in question is "All that is gold does not
      glitter, not all those who wander are lost." I know that there can be
      no literal translation into elvish, so I've just been looking for the
      closest thing. The one that seems to be the most complete is:

      Lá ilye i maltaiva nar mirilyar, lá ilye i ranyar vanwe nar

      However, I've also seen the second part translated as:

      lá ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë

      OR:

      La ilye i mistar ránie

      Since I'm going to be working it into a sketch, accuracy is important
      to me even if most people won't understand.

      I also downloaded the fonts to my computer and tried the online
      Tengwar transcriber and the code that I seem to be getting is:
      j~C `Bj́R `B t#j1lEyE 5#6 t%7Tj́E6= j~C `Bj́R `B 7E5Ì#6 yE5nR 5#6

      The 2nd phrase that I wanted to translate and then transcribe
      is "wherever the path may lead." I believe I may have it correct or
      close with "Aimenna tier tulya" but I'm not sure.

      Any corrections would be much appreciated.
    • Palatinus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30 1:15 AM

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
          Allyson wrote:

          >I have read through a few years worth of posts trying to find the best
          translation into Quenya for this phrase and have found differing
          answers. The phrase in question is "All that is gold does not glitter, not
          all those who wander are lost."

          > Lá ilye i maltaiva nar mirilyar, lá ilye i ranyar vanwe nar

          This means, literally, "not all that of-gold are glitter, not all that
          stray lost are." But I don't think _vanwë_, sg. _vanwa_, is a happy
          translation of "lost" in this context. _Vanwa_ is "lost" in the sense of
          "gone, no longer to be had". In this sentence, "lost" refers to people who
          have lost their way, not people who are gone, or have vanished.

          _Ilye_ can be used for "all" before a noun, as in _ilye tier_ "all paths"
          in Namárie, but it is far from certain that it can function independently
          like this. We have _illi_ as a word for "all" when used as a noun.

          _Lá mirilya ilqua ya ná malta, lá ranyar illi i vantar_ could mean
          "everything that is gold does not glitter, all that walk do not stray". I
          think this captures the actual meaning better. Here is the relevant Tengwar
          code:

          j~C t%7Tj´E `BjzE hÍE 5~C t#j1E = j~C 7E5Ì#6 `Bj¸T `B yE4#6

          > The 2nd phrase that I wanted to translate and then transcribe is
          "wherever the path may lead." I believe I may have it correct or close with
          "Aimenna tier tulya" but I'm not sure.

          _Aimenna_ for "wherever" is an extrapolated form, though not the worst I've
          seen. I think I'd go for _ainomenna_ myself if I were to derive a word
          based on the same underlying assumptions. "...the path may lead" is
          probably best translated as _i tie tulyuva_ based on our current knowledge.
          If you don't want to use neologisms, you could say simply "to the place the
          path shall lead", _i nómenna i tie tulyuva_.

          - HKF
        • Allyson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
            Thank you so much. It took me a few days to get that much and every
            time I would think I was close, I would find new information that
            made me think I was 90% incorrect. I was so confused. I will
            definitely made use of your suggestion. Thanks again!