Re: [elfscript] The Sarati: Phonetic Form on Amanye Tenceli

  • Melroch 'Aestan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
      Måns Björkman skrev:
      > Mellyn!
      >
      > Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
      > Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than welcome.
      >
      > Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
      >
      > Yours,
      > Måns

      Very nicely done, but it is hard to know what is meant
      with "above" and "below" a sarat, as it may in practice
      mean "to the left or right", depending on the writing
      direction. A note about that may be helpful.
      Similarly examples of the vowel symbolizations as
      applied on both 'barred' and 'unbarred' sarati would
      be clarifying.

      Also the table of consonant sarati is became a bit
      hard to read, both when printed out, since ut gets
      scaled down, and on-screen, since it spills out
      over the right edge of the screen, and at least
      two of my browsers activated the horizontal
      scrollbar. I had to open the picture in a separate
      window. Perhaps it is possible to split it up into
      several smaller tables based on manners of articulation?

      (This said I expect my planned pages on the Cirth will
      be full of quirks and blunders which you all can
      nitpick about...)

      --

      /BP 8^)>
      A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2006
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:

        > Måns Björkman skrev:
        > > Mellyn!
        > >
        > > Today I have added a description of the Phonetic Form of the Sarati to
        > > Amanye Tenceli. Comments and suggestions are of course more than
        welcome.

        > > Direct link: http://at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
        > >
        > > Yours,
        > > Måns
        > >

        > Very nicely done, but it is hard to know what is meant
        > with "above" and "below" a sarat, as it may in practice
        > mean "to the left or right", depending on the writing
        > direction. A note about that may be helpful.

        I have intentionally avoided the terms "above" and "below", for
        exactly the reasons you give, and instead adopted a terminology as
        described on the Overview page: "On this site I instead refer to the
        _front_, _back_, _top_ and _bottom_ of sarati, the front being the
        side facing the following sarat in the reading direction, and the top
        being the end always attached to the bar." Perhaps this should be
        pointed out in each valuation description as well.

        > Similarly examples of the vowel symbolizations as
        > applied on both 'barred' and 'unbarred' sarati would
        > be clarifying.

        I see what you mean. I will consider it.

        > Also the table of consonant sarati is became a bit
        > hard to read, both when printed out, since ut gets
        > scaled down, and on-screen, since it spills out
        > over the right edge of the screen, and at least
        > two of my browsers activated the horizontal
        > scrollbar. I had to open the picture in a separate
        > window. Perhaps it is possible to split it up into
        > several smaller tables based on manners of articulation?

        I'm aware that the size of the table is an issue. Dividing it into
        several smaller tables is certainly an idea. I think I'll do that.

        > (This said I expect my planned pages on the Cirth will
        > be full of quirks and blunders which you all can
        > nitpick about...)

        Looking forward to it! ;-)

        Yours,
        Måns